Best burn tips

Options
Anyone have best tips for how to blast calories when at the gym? I use elliptical but, I see ppl jump on for short bursts and then, go to different machines... Would love to change it up!!

Replies

• MelanieCN77
    MelanieCN77 Posts: 4,047 Member
    Options
    For cardio, extended periods spent where your breath is at the limit of being able to hold a conversation is a pretty good clip for calorie burn. Shortly, someone with better factoids will be in to tell you why resistance training is also important. I personally do both steady state cardio and various lifting trying to hit the whole body over the course of the week. I hate HIIT.
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options
    You'll get the best burn going at the highest intensity you can sustain for the time you wish to workout, doing things that you can do consistently without feeling like you hate it and don't want to do it anymore. So basically, your choice of cardio or machines will depend on your preferences, and your choice of intensity will depend on how much time you have to work out.

@MelanieCN77 has it right. Going too hard will result in you burning out too soon, and going too easy will result in a smaller burn. With that said, I do running and I like easy days. They're nice for miles without taxing the body.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    Anyone have best tips for how to blast calories when at the gym?
    Go long and go hard.
    Or go not so hard but go even longer.

I use elliptical but, I see ppl jump on for short bursts and then, go to different machines.
    Perhaps their fitness goals are different to yours?
    Perhaps they aren't focused on calorie burns?
    Perhaps they just like variety?
    Perhaps they have read some twaddle about confusing their muscles or the miraculous calorie burning ability of HIIT? (They aren't doing HIIT and it isn't a high burner anyway....)

Would love to change it up!!
    What does that actually mean - define how you would measure that.
    Faster? Longer? Fitter?
  • ap1972
    ap1972 Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    There is almost an unwritten rule that you shouldn't spend very long on machines especially when it's busy. My thoughts are if I'm changing machines then I'm wasting the time it takes to get off one and set up on another so I pick a machine and stay on it for the duration.