Stronglifts question (newbie)

Options
Hey All

Today I did my first workout A from the stronglifts 5x5 programme, however, I'm just wondering if the barbell row can be replaced with the bent over row?

I appreciate that you have to follow the programme as its set out but I prefer the bent over row and just wondered if I can replace it?

Replies

• Xkmaf2018X
    Xkmaf2018X Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    Or from researching the difference between the two, can I replace Strongslifts barbell row i.e. he drops the weight to the floor, for a bent over row where you don't drop the weight to the floor.
  • Maximilian05
    Maximilian05 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Hi,

I have recently started following the strong lifts program, I wouldn't recommend switching the row because when the weight starts getting heavier you'll struggle and it could lead to you sacrificing proper form.
  • Rose18l
    Rose18l Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    Sure, they both target the same muscle groups. The barbell row is a bit harder than the bent over row. Just make sure you don't go to heavy. Never sacrifise form
  • Xkmaf2018X
    Options
    Thanks both, I used to do the Bent Over Row with my PT and I do much prefer it.

Thanks again.
  • sgt1372
    sgt1372 Posts: 3,985 Member
    edited April 2018
    Options
    Xkmaf2018X wrote: »
    Or from researching the difference between the two, can I replace Strongslifts barbell row i.e. he drops the weight to the floor, for a bent over row where you don't drop the weight to the floor.

What's the difference? Different names for the same lift as far as I know.

And, IMO, you should never drop any bar to the floor. If you drop a bar, you are either being lazy or the weight is too heavy.

Apart from being inconsiderate and annoying to others at the gym, it could damage the bar and/or the floor.

It is unnecessary and unadviseable.

• giantrobot_powerlifting
    giantrobot_powerlifting Posts: 2,598 Member
    Options
    Do em both, then switch programs to Starting Strength.
  • SonyaCele
    SonyaCele Posts: 2,841 Member
    Options
    why dont you want to do the barbell row, You dont have to drop the weight, i never drop it. I just rack it when i'm done
  • Xkmaf2018X
    Options
    I didn't mean drop the bar as in drop it so it slams to the floor.

In Stronglifts video for the Barbell Row he "takes" the bar all the way down to the floor. It states on the his website "Return the bar to the floor on each rep", thats what I meant by dropping the bar, I probably should've stated he returns the bar to the floor after each rep!

Whereas I'm used to doing what I thought was a different exercise, the bent over row (I've tried to attach an image),

Seems as though I can do both so I'll continue doing the ones I know.
  • piperdown44
    piperdown44 Posts: 958 Member
    Options
    The one called out in SL is a Pendlay row. Bar starts on the floor and is returned to the floor. It's for explosive strength (or called out that way).

Bent over rows usually have your hands overhand (not underhand) and the bar is rowed without touching the floor until your reps are done.

When I ran SL I alternated running Pendlay rows and bent over rows every couple of weeks. Most people can Pendlay row a lot more that they can BB row. The goal with a Pendlay is to tense and explosively pull the bar to your chest then control it back to the floor. I did them with a tempo of 1-0-3.

Starting Strength uses a power clean instead of a Pendlay row or bent over row.