Hand pain after lifting

Options
I'm fairly new to lifting or following progressive program(I 've messed around with weights on and off for few years) and I am following Stronglifts.

Recently I 've noticed pain in my palms after the workout and my hands were cramping up but it's gone away after a day . Since Sundays workout my hands have been hurting ,it's like a throbbing pain in my palms (no pain at all in wrists or fingers).

I don't use gloves and have increased weight recently. What should I do ?

Pain is annoying and I'm hoping it's just poor grip strenght and I never had pain like this before and can't think of any other reason than lifting.

Not looking for medical advice just to see if any of you clever lot have experienced this before and should I carry on or take a break (not keen on second option) .

Replies

• NovusDies
    NovusDies Posts: 8,940 Member
    Options
    Is there a numbing sensation or tingling as well as pain? If so, you might be developing carpal tunnel. This can be dangerous for weight lifting in advanced stages because you can lose sensation and control. If it is early enough you can wear a brace that might reverse it.
  • passenger79
    passenger79 Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    No there's no tingling or numbing it's literally just pain in my palms nowhere else
  • NovusDies
    NovusDies Posts: 8,940 Member
    Options
    Ok. Sorry I could not help.
  • Rose18l
    Rose18l Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    Do you feel like you lose grip during the lifts itself? If that is the case the pain might be from the bar sliding. To begin with try some chalk it will increase grip.
  • passenger79
    Options
    NovusDies wrote: »
    Ok. Sorry I could not help.

No thank you for replying I appreciate it .
  • passenger79
    edited April 2018
    Options
    Rose18l wrote: »
    Do you feel like you lose grip during the lifts itself? If that is the case the pain might be from the bar sliding. To begin with try some chalk it will increase grip.

I do as it's heaviest I 've been lifting so far it feels heavy but also my hands were hurting throughout which never happened before .

Would that really cause for pain to linger for days? I'll have to look online for chalk. I lift at home .
  • h1udd
    h1udd Posts: 623 Member
    Options
    just answered again in your feed .... but possibly bruising from holding the bar with your wrists too far back/forward
  • passenger79
    Options
    Thanks h1udd should I just ignore it and carry on ? I'm suppose to do weights tomorrow.
  • DaniCanadian
    DaniCanadian Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    I had to get gloves made for weight lifting cause I had the exact same issue. You can find them in Amazon I think. I bought mine at Canadian tire, and they’re just listed as women’s power lifting gloves. It’s made a world of difference.
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    edited April 2018
    Options
    This is from bench press, correct?

Do you have a death grip on the bar? Could it be actual DOMS in your hands? Maybe try relaxing your grip just a bit (and maybe taking some ibuprofen).

As for lifting tomorrow, I personally would. But if you feel like you cannot safely lift, then don't.

You posted this in the ETP FB page, too, right? I haven't checked what other answers you got there.

My hands hurt for a day after deadlifts, but not bench.