I ate too much for Breakfast

Options
So today I decided to instead of cooking I went out for breakfast. I have already worked out and burned about 500 cal during workout. So I ordered the country skillet which come to find out is like 1500+ cal!!! Holy crow!!! I am having a hard time with controlling my diet due to my work schedule but it is mostly 80/20 veggies to protein. However binge eating is a problem of mine. What can I do to kinda balance these moments and not feel like a failure? I have 20lbs to go before I hit my goal. Gained a bunch of weight from the depot shot (devil shot) and am having a very hard time with the side effects one of which is over eating. So while I am waiting for this toxin to vacate my body....any suggestions would be more than welcome!!! Thank you so much!!!
Hugs,
Dee

Replies

• boehle
    boehle Posts: 5,062 Member
    Options
    I meal prep on Sundays to try to avoid moments like that and then log it all before I consume it.
    Workout mornings are a lot harder as I want to snack all day but I remind myself to prep a variety of snacks for those days.

You have to remind yourself, you have to live a normal life as well. There are moments that we are going to go out to eat to splurge a bit. Try to get a walk in at lunch or after dinner?
  • deannalfisher
    deannalfisher Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    if you are struggling with binge eating - have you evaluated your calorie goal? maybe its too agressive for the weight you have left to lose (at 20lbs, you should have a goal of about 1lb a week)

best way to cope is to log, acknowledge that sometimes you go over and keep chugging away - one day of overeating won't make or break you, but a pattern of it will
  • Poisonedpawn78
    Poisonedpawn78 Posts: 1,145 Member
    Options
    Take each moment you would over eat like that breakfast and think it through fully about what you are ordering. Make the better choice in that moment.

One moment at a time it gets easier.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    deezer23 wrote: »
    So today I decided to instead of cooking I went out for breakfast. I have already worked out and burned about 500 cal during workout. So I ordered the country skillet which come to find out is like 1500+ cal!!! Holy crow!!! I am having a hard time with controlling my diet due to my work schedule but it is mostly 80/20 veggies to protein. However binge eating is a problem of mine. What can I do to kinda balance these moments and not feel like a failure? I have 20lbs to go before I hit my goal. Gained a bunch of weight from the depot shot (devil shot) and am having a very hard time with the side effects one of which is over eating. So while I am waiting for this toxin to vacate my body....any suggestions would be more than welcome!!! Thank you so much!!!
    Hugs,
    Dee

maybe the binging is because you're only allowing yourself veg and protein?
  • confusedbytech
    confusedbytech Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    One burger, cooked breakfast, or slice of cake is not going to wreck your diet or gradual improvement of your health and wellbeing. Everything in moderation. So splurge days happen? So what! You've made a commitment to get healthier so don't punish yourself over slipping occasionally.

Also, I back up the idea of preparing breakfast in advanced. We do it and freeze portions (med veggies, scramble an egg in the microwave, and a sausage with some toast) and it makes the morning's super easy. If you are on the road or on the go there are usually healthier alternatives at take-outs or even supermarkets! If you do splurge in the morning just re-balance your day/week and continue.
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options
    Pre-planning my days really helps me.

I sit down before I eat breakfast and log my entire food day. I know what breakfast, lunch and snack are going to be and usually have a pretty good idea for dinner. I log it all. Then, if I decide to make a change like going out for breakfast, I see how it's going to affect my day. Sometimes I can make it fit. Sometimes I can't. Sometimes I make a conscious decision to go over my calories (but very rarely).
  • MelanieCN77
    MelanieCN77 Posts: 4,047 Member
    Options
    There's usually a veggies and egg whites option at those places.
  • MostlyWater
    MostlyWater Posts: 4,294 Member
    Options
    Eating out usually means too much food. The few times I wanted a breakfast special, it was too much food for me.

If you did eat it all, chances are that you won't eat much for lunch, however.
  • CowboySar
    CowboySar Posts: 404 Member
    Options
    I didn't see it mentioned yet, I think the weekly Cal deficit is more important than the daily. That said though until you have better control over your daily it may be better to worry about your daily.

Eating out is tough, what you think may be within reason is usually far away from reasonable. Its all about making habits and breaking habits.

Best of luck
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    How much of a deficit do you have? With 20 lbs to lose the suggestion is generally to lose .5 lb a week or a 250 calorie deficit.
    If you are exercising you should be eating calories earned from exercise. If you have not been doing then start doing it.

If you have cut a bunch of food from your diet that could be an issue. You don't have to make drastic changes to lose weight. Eat some of what you used to. Are you getting enough fats? Do you crave things like bread?

Some people find it helpful to have one much bigger meal rather than several smaller ones. You might experiment with that.

In future when going out to eat think about your choices in advance.

One high day is not really a big deal. Just log it and move on.
  • tinkerbellang83
    tinkerbellang83 Posts: 9,136 Member
    Options
    Hugs,
    Dee

If you're waiting for your hormones to even out after the depo and struggling with appetite, consider a smaller deficit or maintenance for a week or two.
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    When I have a big breakfast like that, I'm rarely hungry for lunch. We go out for brunch about once or twice per month and it's always a calorie bomb...but we usually don't have anything else to eat until dinner or if we have lunch, it's generally very light like a salad or bowl of soup or something.

I did this Sunday. I work early on Sundays and my coworker and I went to brunch afterwards. French toast, eggs, bacon, and hash browns later...I wasn't ready for dinner until after 9. And that helped me keep to my deficit.
  • Fitnessmom82
    Fitnessmom82 Posts: 376 Member
    Options
    One meal will not sabotage you! Log it and move on, vowing to make better choices. Maybe order that breakfast next time, and only eat half. Think about what you like about it (or any overly indulgent meal) and see if you can find a similar, lower calorie option.
    I have not been able to successfully go out to breakfast and stay within my goal. Breakfast is a trigger for me, I can't even take my own advice on this meal! I have largely avoided going out to breakfast because I don't want the healthy stuff. I want the big stack of pancakes, whipped cream, bacon, ect...and I don't want a little bit of it, i will eat it all. I have accepted that pancakes are my kryptonite!
  • kenyonhaff
    kenyonhaff Posts: 1,377 Member
    Options
    It was an oops. And you realize it. Next time you will know to order smaller, plainer breakfasts. Usually at a diner I get eggs and a little toast snd coffee. An egg muffin sandwich is generally ok.
  • deezer23
    deezer23 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Hugs,
    Dee

No I eat good carbs too. Just mostly veggies.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    Hugs,
    Dee

No I eat good carbs too. Just mostly veggies.

If you're eating mostly vegetables and protein, are you sure you're getting enough fat?
  • vegmebuff
    vegmebuff Posts: 31,389 Member
    Options
    I'm curious...what was the place that serves this 1500 calorie meal? That is so crazy :#