Electronic people. Laptops

Options
MrSith
MrSith Posts: 1,636 Member
I have a nice tablet and desktop but I need a laptop for one of my jobs but I want it to be really think but still powerful.

Any recommendations? No apple products please.

Replies

• km8907
    km8907 Posts: 3,861 Member
    Options
    yh4xh0p3bmg1.jpg
  • JetJaguar
    JetJaguar Posts: 801 Member
    Options
    I like to stick to gaming laptops, even if you're not into games. Very powerful, but the tradeoff is that they're not going to be thin or light, and battery life isn't very good, either. MSI laptops have good specs for their price, I'd check out some of their offerings.
  • MrSith
    Options
    Yeah I'm not a gamer. I want to mainly use it for work related sites I use to document notes etc....
  • jjpptt2
    jjpptt2 Posts: 5,650 Member
    Options
    "powerful" is subjective. Help us out... what do you want to do with it?

I've been reasonably pleased with my Microsoft Surface. I do have to be mindful of how many calculations, especially vlookups, I have on really big spreadsheets, but otherwise power hasn't been a problem for internet/MS Office needs.
  • MrSith
    Options
    I mean I don't want a generic one per se. I need it for Microsoft and work related sites.....nothing serious as I have a desktop/tablet.

Sleek and slim.
  • erockem
    erockem Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    Mr_L33 wrote: »
    MrSith wrote: »
    I mean I don't want a generic one per se. I need it for Microsoft and work related sites.....nothing serious as I have a desktop/tablet.

Sleek and slim.

if no games are involved, and you just want to run websites and office documents, than honestly any slim laptop with at least a dual core and 8gb ram w/ a SSD would suffice

whats ur budget?

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/lenovo-yoga-720-2-in-1-12-5-touch-screen-laptop-intel-core-i5-8gb-memory-128gb-solid-state-drive-iron-gray/6061900.p?skuId=6061900

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/dell-inspiron-15-6-laptop-intel-core-i5-8gb-memory-nvidia-geforce-gtx-1050-ti-256gb-solid-state-drive-black/5872507.p?skuId=5872507

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/dell-inspiron-2-in-1-13-3-touch-screen-laptop-intel-core-i3-8gb-memory-128gb-solid-state-drive-gray/5777600.p?skuId=5777600

MR_L33 lists a nice DELL. i5 (not slow), 8GB ram, 256gb SSD drive. I'd get this one for your needs plus it would do so much more.
  • Puco1
    Puco1 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Pretty stupid to recommend MSI gaming laptops to someone who says they are not a gamer and are looking for something thin and light. Not smart at all.

I don't know what your budget is but I'm very happy with my Surface Pro with the keyboard accessory. It's so thin and light I take it everywhere. Plenty powerful for all of the work-related stuff I need it for. I get 7-8 hours on the battery. For work use I would go for one with more storage because data always seems to expand to use up all available space.
  • JetJaguar
    JetJaguar Posts: 801 Member
    Options
    Puco1 wrote: »
    Pretty stupid to recommend MSI gaming laptops to someone who says they are not a gamer and are looking for something thin and light. Not smart at all.

This is directed at me, I take it? First of all, the OP didn't say they weren't into games until after I posted. Second, they asked for a powerful laptop, and the fact is that the most powerful laptops, especially for the price, are gaming laptops. It's worth pointing out because someone looking for a power system but doesn't play games might not think to look in the "gaming laptops" section of wherever they are shopping.

Look, I don't think my wife has ever played a computer game in her life. But when she needed to run Mathcad and some statistical data mining software for work, she commandeered my daughters MSI laptop because her own "plenty powerful" computer was too slow for the job. But she also found that it was so much smoother and snappier at ordinary tasks like Word and Excel that I ended up having to buy her a gaming laptop of her own. She also really likes the backlit keyboard when sitting on the couch in dim light, which is a pretty common feature for gaming machines but not so much for non-gamer systems.