FEMALES ONLY: That time of the month

Options
Hey ladies,

I just wanted to see how that time of the month affects the MFP community. I never feel like eating during this week and I'm always tired. What are your symptoms?

Also I know we're not supposed to weigh in during this week due to water retention and etc, but I was wondering how true this is!

Replies

• MelanieCN77
    MelanieCN77 Posts: 4,047 Member
    Options
    I'd absolutely weigh in as usual, to build your awareness of your patterns. I'm personally hungrier around ovulation than the main event.
  • ladybug4233
    ladybug4233 Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    I am very hungry a few days before and I sometimes weigh a little more and yes I am tired. I still weigh myself.
  • xelsoo
    xelsoo Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    I will weigh in but knowing that it will usually go up a few (or more than a few) pounds, which will be back to normal afterwards.

My workouts are pretty much the same but I will occasionally feel more tired. If this is the case, I don't push myself.

As for my appetite, I few days before I start getting hungrier and craving sweets. I try to bake some healthy, filling and low-sugar treats in anticipation so I can satisfy my cravings within my daily intake.
  • almostanxious
    almostanxious Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Any advice on making myself eat during my cycle? I'm NEVER hungry, but I know my metabolism will suffer if I don't eat something
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options
    Any advice on making myself eat during my cycle? I'm NEVER hungry, but I know my metabolism will suffer if I don't eat something

Not really. Unless you are starving - like concentration camp starving - you can't affect your metabolism much.

Are you tracking your calories, using a food scale and logging everything? How much are you eating during your cycle? How much are you eating the other three weeks?
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options

Your metabolism isn't going to suffer if you eat less due to poor appetite for a few days a month.
  • fitoverfortymom
    fitoverfortymom Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options
    I get wicked hungry about 3-4 out from TOM and crazy-*kitten* carb cravings. Sometimes I win at keeping it in check, and sometimes I don't. It does eventually pass, though, and I get back to tracking at a deficit. Over time, it all smooths out.
  • Meghanebk
    Meghanebk Posts: 321 Member
    edited April 2018
    Options
    I crave salty foods and extra carbs. So I eat them! In moderation. My weight swings a pound or two a few days beforehand. I still get on the scale, it reminds me to keep tracking. The weight changes don't bother me since I expect them.
  • almostanxious
    Options

Not really. Unless you are starving - like concentration camp starving - you can't affect your metabolism much.

Are you tracking your calories, using a food scale and logging everything? How much are you eating during your cycle? How much are you eating the other three weeks?

I usually eat 1,399 calories a day the rest of the three weeks, but during my cycle I have caught myself eating as few as 400 calories a day for two days in a row. I never want to eat anything
  • quiksylver296
    Options

I usually eat 1,399 calories a day the rest of the three weeks, but during my cycle I have caught myself eating as few as 400 calories a day for two days in a row. I never want to eat anything

I hate to belabor a point, but do you use a food scale to weigh and log everything?
  • almostanxious
    Options

I hate to belabor a point, but do you use a food scale to weigh and log everything?

Normally or specifically during this week?
  • quiksylver296
    edited April 2018
    Options

Both. I am hesitant to tell someone to eat more if they are currently eyeballing portions and/or not logging.
  • amfmmama
    amfmmama Posts: 1,420 Member
    Options
    The week before, I want to eat everything in sight! During, I am exhausted. My weightloss usually stalls and I consider any loss, or even remaining the same, a victory.
  • almostanxious
    Options

Both.

Normally yes, I sometimes slip on packaged foods and per measured servings, but when I cook at home I almost always break out my scale. During my cycle, not so much. I tend to eat so little and so sporadically I hardly ever think about it. For this cycle, I have meal planned and intent to follow through with cooking and trying to eat as I would normally, but we'll see how that works out.
  • Running_and_Coffee
    Running_and_Coffee Posts: 811 Member
    Options
    I do gain around 2 lbs the week of, but am not "bloated." (I also am at my lightest the week afterwards, when I am in maintenance.) I used to notice an increased appetite, but actually think it's more being in a bad mood and seeking comfort foods. Other than that, not much. It was all worse when I was younger.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    edited April 2018
    Options

Both.

Normally yes, I sometimes slip on packaged foods and per measured servings, but when I cook at home I almost always break out my scale. During my cycle, not so much. I tend to eat so little and so sporadically I hardly ever think about it. For this cycle, I have meal planned and intent to follow through with cooking and trying to eat as I would normally, but we'll see how that works out.

Are we talking 3-5 days where your appetite is so low that you can only eat about 400 calories a day?

Assuming you have discussed this with your doctor and they're not concerned, if my only issue was lack of appetite for 3-5 days a month, I think I would just increase my calories either immediately before or after my period so that I was averaging (for the rolling week) my calorie goal.

(Note: This is based on the assumption that logging is generally accurate)
  • almostanxious
    Options

Both.

Are we talking 3-5 days where your appetite is so low that you can only eat about 400 calories a day?

Assuming you have discussed this with your doctor and they're not concerned, if my only issue was lack of appetite for 3-5 days a month, I think I would just increase my calories either immediately before or after my period so that I was averaging (for the rolling week) my calorie goal.

(Note: This is based on the assumption that logging is generally accurate)

I have discussed it with my doctor and we both concur that my cramps are generally so bad that I feel nauseated and avoid foods, similar to having a stomach flu. She has advised me to try eat light food like celery and cucumbers and things that are easy on the stomach, but that will keep me hydrated. The only thing is, most of these are very low calorie and don't provide a high running total of calories per day. She doesn't seem to be too worried about it overall as my cycles tend to be short, but I am often left feeling extremely exhausted for a few days after.
  • endermako
    endermako Posts: 787 Member
    Options
    I still weigh in daily because I use a trend app on my phone. I'm up about 2.8 lbs as of today due to TOM and harder strength training. Today is day 1 of TOM too and I'm going to have to do cardio with cramps ugh. I personally do not see any appetite changes through. I still eat around the same but have increased my calories by about 150 for harder exercise.