2»

Replies

• Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    WinoGelato wrote: »
    Francl27 wrote: »
    crazyravr wrote: »
    Dont plan. Planning leads to failure, as Mr. Simpson says :)
    Come home, see whats in the fridge / freezer, combine and cook. Look how simple the stirfry was. No need to overthink cooking. Spices and sauces make everything taste good. And when in doubt, deep fry hahaha ;)

Simple but it took one hour to make! Time is often an issue too. And you have to plan ahead if you want to use frozen meat.

Do you have an Instant Pot? That can be used to cook meat from frozen.

Planning is key when trying to get food on the table for busy families, so I agree that “winging it” on weeknights doesn’t usually lend itself to culinary creativity.

We are in the busy Spring sports season right now, so I feel your pain. Planning ahead is great, but that means plan for the week on Sunday and then execute that plan each morning. Mornings are pretty hectic with me trying to get workout in, answer emails from overnight, get kids ready and off to school and get out the door before my first meetings of the day to think much about what I want to make for dinner.... although sometimes I check Pinterest on my phone and get ideas while I’m walking.

Also what I often do is make sure I get the kids fed before or right after sports practice with something quick like grilled cheese, quesadillas, breakfast for dinner... and then I eat later after they go to bed (9-9:30). Last night husband and I ate dinner about 10pm after a really long work day, soccer, Scouts, helping kids with homework, and packing for a work trip. Whew! That was late even for us!

Glad the stir fry turned out well. That’s one of the things my kids eat pretty faithfully, although they like the chicken and veggies and rice all plain - I take some out for them and then add the sauce later for myself and husband. I also use the bags of microwave ready rice for even more efficiency.

I use the instant pot to make the rice! I'm not very fond of the texture of meat in the instant pot, honestly.
  • sjd421
    sjd421 Posts: 54 Member
    Options

Suggestions? [/quote]

Make sure you make this in batches or you will end up with a soggy mess.
    Cook chicken first in batches, dont overcrowd the pan and set aside.
    Add in your first batch of veggies frozen and cook until almost done. Add in some chicken and sauce, serve.
    Repeat.

Once your chicken is cooked it will be real quick to cook and serve all.[/quote]

This is how I make my stir fry.
  • PowerliftingMom
    PowerliftingMom Posts: 430 Member
    Options
    My local grocery store has fresh veggies cut for stir fry in the meat dept. It's usually a mixture of peppers, broccoli, snow peas, and onions.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    My local grocery store has fresh veggies cut for stir fry in the meat dept. It's usually a mixture of peppers, broccoli, snow peas, and onions.

Yeah they had some at $3 or $4 a lb... vs $1 for a bag of frozen veggies.