Options
    donut is the American way
    doughnut is the British way.

so you are saying donut is the correct spelling

that's my interpretation too.
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    Doughnut is the correct spelling, no matter what side of the pond you are on. It's the original form of the word and the one that's "officially" dictionary approved as the correct spelling.

Oh, honey, if we're going to decide "correct" based on the "original spelling of the word," none of us are spelling anything correctly.

Donut is acceptable, as is doughnut. And it has nothing to do with which side of the pond you're on. Americans use both spellings interchangably. This is how language evolves and it has been happening for as long as there has been language.
  • EDollah
    EDollah Posts: 464 Member
    Options
    I'm with those that say "it's spelled however Krispy Kreme" spells it. So doughnuts it is for me.
  • AllonsYtotheTardis
    AllonsYtotheTardis Posts: 16,947 Member
    Options
    THe only problem I see here, is that you've already eaten 2 before you offered any to the rest of us.
  • wolfchild59
    wolfchild59 Posts: 2,608 Member
    Options
    Doughnut is the correct spelling, no matter what side of the pond you are on. It's the original form of the word and the one that's "officially" dictionary approved as the correct spelling.

Oh, honey, if we're going to decide "correct" based on the "original spelling of the word," none of us are spelling anything correctly.

Donut is acceptable, as is doughnut. And it has nothing to do with which side of the pond you're on. Americans use both spellings interchangably. This is how language evolves and it has been happening for as long as there has been language.

Ummm...yeah, you pretty much just agreed with what I said in the rest of my post. That both are used and accepted pretty much every where. I was just giving a little bit of the actual history of the word was all. :)
  • Diana35bha
    Diana35bha Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    donut is the American way
    doughnut is the British way.

What he said!!!
  • danasings
    danasings Posts: 8,218 Member
    Options
    The only appropriate approach to this quandary is to try one of each and decide for yourself.

For me, it's "doughnut," but only because Krispy Kreme, the protector of all that is right and sacred about doughnuts, spells it that way. . .

Oh, Krispy Kremes, how I love you so...
  • rml_16
    Options

Ummm...yeah, you pretty much just agreed with what I said in the rest of my post. That both are used and accepted pretty much every where. I was just giving a little bit of the actual history of the word was all. :)
    Except that you said "doughnut" is the only correct spelling before you said it isn't. That isn't the same thing. It either is correct or it isn't correct, regardless of the history.

But, yes, in a way we do agree. :-)
  • TK266
    TK266 Posts: 3,689 Member
    Options
    donut because it is spelled cleaner and we all have to eat clean. :tongue:
  • jamiem1102
    jamiem1102 Posts: 1,196 Member
    Options
    I don't care. Just git in mah belly!

tumblr_m4iv6omUe31rwcc6bo1_500.gif
  • _chiaroscuro
    _chiaroscuro Posts: 1,340 Member
    Options
    Sometimes it's more important to know what something ISN'T, rather than what it is.
    2dtchhk.jpg
  • UsedToBeHusky
    UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,229 Member
    Options

Except that you said "doughnut" is the only correct spelling before you said it isn't. That isn't the same thing. It either is correct or it isn't correct, regardless of the history.

The notion that there is no correct spelling of any word only subjects language to further degradation.

Are you honestly telling me that you will be okay if I "axe" you a question?

Just because it is a commonly used substitution, doesn't make it right, nor should it be considered acceptable.
  • wolfchild59
    wolfchild59 Posts: 2,608 Member
    Options

I didn't say it was the *only* correct spelling. I was saying that it was correct in that it was the recognized correct spelling and that donut is seen as the shortened version, but I can definitely see now that I could have used an better term in the opening line. That's also why I put official in quotations rather than just making it a direct statement like I was agreeing with it. But so much gets lost in words on a screen vs. conversation, I still often forget to add additional clarification on stuff. :D
  • rml_16
    Options

I didn't say it was the *only* correct spelling. I was saying that it was correct in that it was the recognized correct spelling and that donut is seen as the shortened version, but I can definitely see now that I could have used an better term in the opening line. That's also why I put official in quotations rather than just making it a direct statement like I was agreeing with it. But so much gets lost in words on a screen vs. conversation, I still often forget to add additional clarification on stuff. :D
    Sorry. I'm having a tired, frustrated Monday. I should probably stop posting. lol

Just over an hour of work left.
  • sharonfoustmills
    sharonfoustmills Posts: 519 Member
    Options
    krispy kreme says it's doughnut, and they are my favorite so I agree with them:love: happy that right now I am not craving one
  • jamiem1102
    jamiem1102 Posts: 1,196 Member
    Options

The notion that there is no correct spelling of any word only subjects language to further degradation.

Are you honestly telling me that you will be okay if I "axe" you a question?

Just because it is a commonly used substitution, doesn't make it right, nor should it be considered acceptable.

Excuse me, it isn't "axe," it's "aks". /Sarcasm\
  • MyChocolateDiet
    MyChocolateDiet Posts: 22,281 Member
    Options
    It's spelled "Do-Not"

I don't think that is correct

I donut think that is correct either.
  • luckynky
    luckynky Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    I like doughnuts, which are made out of dough. Donut is not right. It's "do" "nut". That makes no sense.
  • BrainyBurro
    BrainyBurro Posts: 6,129 Member
    Options
    since the donut was invented in the USA, shouldn't the US spelling (even if it has evolved) be the preferred spelling?
  • TeachTheGirl
    TeachTheGirl Posts: 2,091 Member
    Options
    Whatever it is, it's delicious.