Trying to gain and cant

Options
Hey out there. Im trying to put on some weight but just cant get there. I have a few medical issues that keep me from gaining but I am determined to get back to atleast 150lbs. Im on a high protein low fat and low carb diet eating about every 2-3 hrs but it has now become a job and I might have gain 2lbs in a month. Im in desprate need of a kick in the *kitten* and a few good snack and meal ideas to keep me going. Anyone out there think they can help

Replies

• morgan30fla
    morgan30fla Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Cant. No gallbladder and most of my pancreas and stomach are gone
  • deannalfisher
    deannalfisher Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    typically low fat and low carb don't go hand in hand - i understand the low fat because of gallbladder, but like @TavistockToad said you need to talk to your medical team if you have extreme restrictions
  • morgan30fla
    Options
    Been there done that on year 4 after a whipple. Look for new ideas. Fyi the medical team told me keep working at it you will figure out what works for you.
  • deannalfisher
    Options
    did you run your stats through MFP to gain weight? what did it give you for calorie goals? are you weighing/measuring everything? (research has shown ppl trying to gain weight tend to underestimate food intake; ppl trying to lose tend to underestimate)
  • morgan30fla
    Options
    I did run it thru MFP. Im on a plan gain .5 lbs for a normally functional person. My Dr said i should gain more ( up to 3lbs a week). I supplement with ensure high protien which my body has just started to accept in the last 6 months. Dr say my absorption rate is good and i have no blockages but my already small stomach wont expand because of all the trama. Truth be told i dont hit my calorie mark but im taking in more calories than I did when I was at a steady 145lbs now down to 126lbs and thru all the Dr tests I show im good to gain.
  • morgan30fla
    Options
    #thinner
  • deannalfisher
    Options
    can you do liquid calories - even if they are higher carb? things like ensure, fruit smoothies etc - i'm not sure about your pancreas issues - but that may help with the ability to absorb more calories

3lbs a week is a pretty hefty goal and i would question your doctor - that is saying 10500cal over your maintenance in the course of week (1500cal over maintenance a day)
  • morgan30fla
    Options
    Yes within the last year I have been able to do some liquid protien. I take a high protien ensure now. I do have to be careful because it will knock me on my ars if it doesnt agree. Mostly i am looking for meal and snack ideas along with some motivation to stick with it.
  • NovusDies
    NovusDies Posts: 8,940 Member
    Options
    I think I would make my current medical team work a little harder instead of expecting you to do their job for them. At the very least maybe it will prompt them to refer you to someone else for weight gain.

Fat is what most easily turns into fat and you are restricted. Even if I knew a possibility, which I don't, I would be too afraid of it causing you harm.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    It sounds like you have many of the same restrictions Bariatric patients work with. Here are some ideas.

- Drink calories when you are not eating, and never drink and eat at the same time. Try skim milk and Gatorade. Have Gatorade at your side at all times.
    - Try Greek Yogurt. It is high in protein and has a pleasing texture for many small stomachs.
    - Tofu comes in dessert style packs that is portable.
    - You can get Beneprotein prescribed as a supplement.
  • deannalfisher
    Options
    The bolthouse protein plus shakes might work
  • morgan30fla
    Options
    Thank you the Tofu idea is one that has totally slipped by me. Unfortunately dairy is a no go for me. Def limits my options and thats exactly what im looking for. Options. Granted my body keeps changing and thats why my Drs tell me I will figure it out. (Thats for all my medical comment people out there.) I know whats wrong with me I know what i can eat (for now) i just was looking for the people with food ideas.
  • morgan30fla
    Options
    And motivation to keep me on track
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Thank you the Tofu idea is one that has totally slipped by me. Unfortunately dairy is a no go for me. Def limits my options and thats exactly what im looking for. Options. Granted my body keeps changing and thats why my Drs tell me I will figure it out. (Thats for all my medical comment people out there.) I know whats wrong with me I know what i can eat (for now) i just was looking for the people with food ideas.

So the main thing is to try and eat more of the stuff you can tolerate
  • ConleighS
    ConleighS Posts: 1,058 Member
    Options
    Been there done that on year 4 after a whipple. Look for new ideas. Fyi the medical team told me keep working at it you will figure out what works for you.

Where did you have your procedure? I just got diagnosed with pancreatic cancer and am going through UCI Medical Center. They gave me a book on the Whipple procedure and what to expect. Your Drs need to set you up with an appropriate dietician or nutritionist.
  • ConleighS
    ConleighS Posts: 1,058 Member
    Options
    jgnatca wrote: »
    It sounds like you have many of the same restrictions Bariatric patients work with. Here are some ideas.

- Drink calories when you are not eating, and never drink and eat at the same time. Try skim milk and Gatorade. Have Gatorade at your side at all times.
    - Try Greek Yogurt. It is high in protein and has a pleasing texture for many small stomachs.
    - Tofu comes in dessert style packs that is portable.
    - You can get Beneprotein prescribed as a supplement.

Post whipple diet is very much like bariatric diet. Have to have protein with every meal 6x per day. I’m just learning about it.
  • PixelPuff
    PixelPuff Posts: 901 Member
    Options
    Are you able to drink weight gainer? It is high in calories.

Also has protein and stuff, so you'll also be getting that. Maybe switch out one of your regular protein shakes for a serving of weight gainer? Check with your doctor first, as I'm not sure what your dietary needs are.

Keep in mind, in the link I posted above, that is just one example. I believe there are lower fat ones... The serving shown is also for four scoops/182g...

This one is almost double the calories, jeez.
  • morgan30fla
    Options
    Weight gaining drinks are hard on me. I was drinking ensure high protein but after 3 weeks it has now started to bother me again. Nothing like waking up on the floor! Biggest problem with this surgery is the dr dont know what I can and cant eat because its different for everyone who has it. I just spent the last month in and out of the Dr's. Nothing new was found out and i was told again" I will figure it out" Frustrating!