Lets talk about YOUR GYM

Options

Replies

• ccsernica
    ccsernica Posts: 1,040 Member
    edited April 2018
    Options
    I use the gym at work. It's free, very well-equipped with a great selection of machines, free weights, cardio machines, and miscellaneous gear like TRX, bands, medicine balls, etc., is staffed with folks who know what they're talking about, and there are some great trails nearby for running. I'd have a hard time finding a better one even if I was paying for it, although I'd love to have a pool and sauna available.
  • HappyKat5
    HappyKat5 Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    Like others said, a good gym will offer a trial. If, you love classes like I do, get a pass and try them. If you don’t feel like the classes suit you then move onto another place. I belong to a community center and they have 80 free classes (some special classes, you pay a fee because the space is limited, for example Pilates.) we have a steam room, sauna and whirlpools as well. Remember, your paying for your time and swear, it should be at a place that you like and don’t dread going into...
  • 1houndgal
    1houndgal Posts: 558 Member
    Options
    I joined my local ymca and I go almost daily. Because of spine issues I am limited to swimming and recumbent cardio machines (elliptical and bicycle).

I swim laps and do water aerobics for the most part. In the water I rarely feel pain and can do things in water I can't do on land.

Swimming really uses so many muscles and you burn up calories quickly.

To date my YMCA has had three Olympic Medalists get their start at our pool.

After a swim, there is a wonderful large Jacuzzi spa pool to soak in, warm up, and keep your muscles loose.

I whole heartedly recommend water fitness activity for folks with issues like arthritis. Especially for folks that are seriously overweight.

The YMCA has all sorts of classes and excercise equipment. With staff available to help you get started.
  • Wingsont84
    Wingsont84 Posts: 335 Member
    Options
    sardelsa wrote: »
    Probably not helpful for you, but it has to be in my house. With the space and equipment I need (barbell, plates, bench, dumbbells, kettlebells, cable machine, bands, plus other accessories). Plus a huge mirror and TV/screen.. ;)

I have a bat cave, but apparently I need to come visit your home gym
  • Biggster69
    Biggster69 Posts: 84 Member
    edited April 2018
    Options
    I don’t care about classes. A good amount of weights and weight benches plus lots of cardio machines are fine, don’t want to wait in line when it gets busy. Also I expect not to get approached by annoying personal trainers to sign up for try out sessions.
  • idioblast
    idioblast Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    I love the YMCA. There are three locations within 10-15 minutes of my house and great group exercise options (mostly Les Mills, which I love). Also, the family atmosphere and the childcare.
  • kjflaherty
    kjflaherty Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Wow thanks everyone. These are great responses. I do need to see if there is a YMCA here, other than that I think my choices are 24 hr because its close, planet fitness (not opposed but I really want zumba), and some fancy shmancy places that are kinda close but are way too pricey. I haven't thought of the Y.
  • Silentpadna
    Silentpadna Posts: 1,306 Member
    Options
    The Y is great. If I didn't have a corporate gym (complete with free weights and racks) to train in, I'd go back to the Y yesterday. They have everything.
  • 1houndgal
    1houndgal Posts: 558 Member
    Options
    kjflaherty wrote: »
    Wow thanks everyone. These are great responses. I do need to see if there is a YMCA here, other than that I think my choices are 24 hr because its close, planet fitness (not opposed but I really want zumba), and some fancy shmancy places that are kinda close but are way too pricey. I haven't thought of the Y.

Try to sign up when they have the no activation fee deal. Our YMCA is doing that deal now. They do it often. Saves you 100 dollars if you don't have to pay the no activation fee.
  • k8andchr1smom
    k8andchr1smom Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    I go to my Y too. I love it! It's clean, parking is good and it's reasonably priced. At first I was just warm up, lift and get out, no classes, pool or trainer. Now I take boot camp, and considering swim lessons, and have a trainer!! Things change, lol.
  • Momepro
    Momepro Posts: 1,509 Member
    Options
    A circuit, at leadt a couple rowers, a large stretching area, calm atmosphere, friendly and actually helpful staff, clean with machines fixed quickly and preferably an indoor pool. Also being affordable and nearby helps.
  • Keladelphia
    Keladelphia Posts: 820 Member
    Options
    I train at an Olympic Weightlifting gym. It has platforms, bars, bumper plates, squat racks, jerk blocks, dumbbells, KB's, mobility equipment and nothing else. I love it but do wish there was some form of cardio equipment for when I need to cut weight prior to competetion.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    edited April 2018
    Options
    kjflaherty wrote: »
    I want to hear what you look for in a gym. Since I moved I've been apprehensive to join a new one. Getting out of gym contracts be like getting out of a death contract.
    I like zumba, some group fitness classes, I need the weights. I love the hottub.
    But I'm afraid if I hate the one I join I'm so stuck. So tell me what to avoid, tell me what you like, tell me everything. How is 24 hr fitness?
    I want your opinions!

I primarily go to the gym to lift so the weight room is top priority. There needs to be all of the necessary equipment to do traditional barbell strength training as well as an Oly platform and bumper plates and they have to allow Olympic lifting (which means weights are going to get dropped).

My current gym and the one prior to that were mostly one big weight room with limited cardio equipment, etc...most people use the cardio equipment to warm up and/or cool down after a workout rather than performing long cardio sessions. Since everyone is there primarily to lift, nobody gets worked up about bumper plates hitting the Oly platform and making a bunch of noise. I like the fact that it's a gym and not a library.

My current gym is not open to the general public. Most of the customers are working directly with one of the trainers at the gym. There are a handful of us who have "executive" memberships and we can come and go as we please. This is nice because even on a busy day there might be 4 other people in the gym training. I often have it to myself, especially on Sunday.

ETA: my first gym when I started back 5+ years ago was a Jewish Community Center. It was awesome because it had a lot of amenities, including a very nice weight room. It also had an indoor track and I miss the swimming pool and gymnasium. It had a nice cardio area that was well removed from the weight room, so cardio bunnies had no need to complain about the weight lifters. It also had 2 hour child care that you paid for, but it was cheap. A family membership was only $99/month. Alas, it was clear across town and we were spending as much time commuting back and forth as we were working out.
  • hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,967 Member
    edited April 2018
    Options
    Ive never had issues getting out of a gym membership. At my previous gyms they normally charged an extra month up front and when I cancelled my membership that was the end of it, they never charged me anything again. I used to go to a place called lifetime fitness and it was wonderful. Really big and lots of equipment, good kids area and activities, locker rooms were really nice, sauna, steam room and hot tub. I also like how they provide towels, and there is an indoor and outdoor pool so we really made use of it during the summer. Right now I belong to a community center which is just ok. The workout area is kinda small so I often have to wait for the squat rack. And the locker room isn’t great. But it gets the job done and it’s very inexpensive ($15 a month). I pay for a year up front and they don’t have my credit card info, so I don’t have to worry about getting out of anything.
  • hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,967 Member
    Options
    We don’t have a ymca near me otherwise I would go there :(
  • CSARdiver
    CSARdiver Posts: 6,252 Member
    Options
    We have a RecPlex nearby which has a pool, ice rink, several courts and like a supersized YMCA. My wife chose this due to the TRX classes and I wanted the pool. It has a great weight section and continually expanding and updating gear.

I also have a small gym at work with a Smith machine, a pulley setup, weight machines, free weights, and 9 cardio machines.

We have a treadmill at home and some free weights and a pull up bar outside. I'm thinking about adding a Salmon Ladder this year.
  • giantrobot_powerlifting
    giantrobot_powerlifting Posts: 2,598 Member
    Options
    Kilos plates, combo racks, speciality bars, 100+ pound dumbbells, bands and chains, and a cable machine for accessory work.
  • Iron_Muscle_
    Iron_Muscle_ Posts: 5,095 Member
    Options
    I’m in the process of building my own strength gym warehouse. It’s going to be a place to just get to work. No fluff!!! Who else would train here?
  • BoxerBrawler
    BoxerBrawler Posts: 2,032 Member
    Options
    So my regular local gym is also where I teach. It's huge, very well equipped, clean, great music, super friendly staff and people. I love it and because I teach there I get a free membership! Then I have a small gym at work. It's small but they have all of the necessary equipment for my lifting and/or cardio sessions. It's very clean and people just go there and do there thing and head back to work. No muss no fuss. But my real gym... It's called Everybody Fights in Southie. It's rough and tough and every single work out is like the hardest workout of your life. I take heavy-bag classes there. They focus on traditional boxing, some Muay Thai and other MMA. They also have 360 Programs along with all of the regular equipment you'd find in a gym. Good weight room, etc. It's a scary place and it's expensive. Everyone there is super fit... and I love it! Not for the faint of heart lol!! I go there every morning to box, to my work gym every afternoon to lift, and to my local gym at night and/or the weekends to teach and get additional workouts on accessory muscles.