First 5K

Options
I hav signed up for my first 5k color run in July. Any suggestions or thoughts on how to train for it? Any tips?

Replies

• TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    C25k if you don't currently run
  • primalpam
    primalpam Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    Agree. I've heard great success stories with the C25K app.

Do you currently run or are you starting at ground zero?
  • mulecanter
    mulecanter Posts: 1,792 Member
    Options
    The best training for running is running. 3 miles is a good distance. If you are new, start with walk/run and keep working toward a higher proportion of running until you hit 100%. As you rack up the mileage your pace will naturally increase. Pay attention to potential injuries, if your feet, knees or hips hurt throttle back a bit on the running portion. Stretch before and after each run. Upbeat music helps me run.
  • Kida181
    Kida181 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    C25k works for a lot of people. I didn't like it.
    I found my base mileage, which was less than a mile, and just increased it a little every week.
  • christieesposito318
    Options
    I currently do the elliptical and rack up an average of 6.2 miles, but I have not run on the treadmill in years.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    I currently do the elliptical and rack up an average of 6.2 miles, but I have not run on the treadmill in years.

It's not the same thing. If your race is outside, train outside.
  • MeteoraTitanium
    MeteoraTitanium Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    I signed up for one too! I only run on a treadmill once a week, I think I need to practice 5k a bit more really.
  • MostlyWater
    MostlyWater Posts: 4,294 Member
    Options
    You have two issues. One is the 5K itself, the other is the color run. Are you sure your first run should be with all that ... distraction?
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    Options

run outside...your run is outside, so ideally you should train outside. Running outside is completely different than running on a treadmill. C25K is a good way to start.
  • laceyquintel
    laceyquintel Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I'm doing my first 5k on May 4th. Getting a bit nervous but I've been working hard. It's a trail run so unfortunately I haven't had much time to train on trails,due to the weather here. But I've been going hard on the treadmill
  • gearhead426hemi
    gearhead426hemi Posts: 919 Member
    Options
    Get a pair of good shoes and nothing is better than pavement or trail time. Pace yourself but also challenge yourself and have fun!!
  • 1BlueAurora
    1BlueAurora Posts: 439 Member
    Options
    Definitely buy a new pair of shoes from a running store, where the employees can fit you professionally to prevent you from getting those dreaded shin splints! Well worth the investment.

Your elliptical workouts have given you good cardio training. Now you need to start running outside. Good training will mimic actual running conditions. You may feel that some leg muscles ache a little bit after a run outside, because the ground is harder and uneven. Your muscles need to get used to this before your big day. And there's no shame in running a shorter distance than you're used to on the elliptical. It's a little more challenging to run on pavement, cedar chips, dirt or gravel. Try for three or four miles and see how you feel.
  • jasmineemmaeats
    jasmineemmaeats Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Absolutely love C25k! It's free and builds up in a way that means no run feels harder than the one before, even though it's further. I've done it a few times and it's got me back into running every time after a few months of poor motivation. It starts slow but it's so worth it and it'll definitely have you ready by July.

And I agree about buying a proper pair of running shoes - I didn't realise how much of a difference they'd make until I had them :)
  • justjara123
    justjara123 Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    Aside from the above suggestions, running with a friend or a group might help! You’ll be doing the run with other people so you can also get used to the psychological pressure of people running ahead of you.

- For the race itself, do NOT run to catch up to someone at a pace you’re not comfortable with. You’ll just run out of juice and feel silly that you chased after someone so early in the race.
    - Don’t drink too much water if it’s available to you. While training, get used to not taking water breaks as drinking too much water is bad.
    - If you feel the need to walk, push yourself a little harder. Towards the end, it’s mostly willpower.
    - Remember that you’re really only trying to beat yourself and since it’s your first run, it’s a clean slate!

Best of luck!