Anyone else have hypothyroidism here?

Options
I barely found out I'm sick i have an underactive thyroid gland, and i read aerobics and strength training are good for my healtg but not intense cardio. But im not sure what aerobics is or what i should be eating help anyone? I'm scared i might hurt myself in the process of trying to lose weight. I also now i need portion control but what is a good portion ? Im 20 i weigh 157 and im 5'2. Any opinions welcome.

Replies

• kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    Aerobic exercise is movement that makes your heart and lungs work harder - you will feel your heart rate rise and you breathe heavier.

Don't try to lose weight. Weightloss is simple, it's something you make happen. You lose weight when you consistently eat less, and less means taking in fewer calories than you burn, for real, and over time. You can eat anything you want. A balanced and varied diet is best. There is no such thing as a good portion. Appropriate portions of each individual food is what together makes up your total calories (as suggested by MFP, when you enter a weekly weightloss goal of 1 or 0.5 pounds), and a balanced and varied diet, that you find appealing, attainable and affordable.
  • MaCkAy69
    MaCkAy69 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Hypothyroidism here for almost 10 years, and I’ve never been told that intense cardio was bad. I’ve certainly done plenty and I’m still going strong! Ask your doctor about any exercise you are wondering about, just to be sure of course.
  • deannalfisher
    deannalfisher Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    If intense cardio is bad I’m screwed since I do ironman triathlons and I have no thyroid...

Is your doc giving you medication?