Can't Break The Barrier

Options
I have lost 30 lbs since the beginning of the year when I started up the program again. The problem is that I cannot break through this mark on my current calorie intake (1710). When I do less on the calories I feel bad and this has been going on for three weeks. I started at 260.4 on Jan 1, now at 230.0. I run 4 days per week for about 50 minutes for a total of 4.85 miles on average which includes warming up for 5 minutes and cooling down for 5 minutes. Looking for what has worked for others. Thanks in advance

Replies

• kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    Why do you think you have to eat less than 1710?
  • Silentpadna
    Silentpadna Posts: 1,306 Member
    Options
    How long have you been stuck? If it's been a few weeks, then this looks like a logging issue. If it's been 2 weeks or less, it might be a "patience" issue. Do you weigh your food with a scale? You are likely eating more than 1710 calories because the math just doesn't work here. Even if you didn't run, 1710 would be enough of a deficit to lose. What is your height and age? I just plugged in a generic 6', 40 y.o. Even sedentary you should have enough of a deficit to be losing.

If you are running that much, 1710 calories would be under-eating.

For reference, I was losing comfortably at your weight (a year ago), while eating 2200-2400 calories per day, doing less exercise than you. I'm 55, 5'11", started at 240, now at 198 and maintaining.

I would troubleshoot your logging first (with that caveat that your "stall" is longer than 2-3 weeks). If it has not been than long, then just wait for the next "whoosh". It's not linear.
  • xbowhunter
    xbowhunter Posts: 1,008 Member
    Options
    Slow & steady wins the race my friend...
  • tinkerbellang83
    tinkerbellang83 Posts: 9,072 Member
    Options
    MikeMTrain wrote: »
    Looking for what has worked for others. Thanks in advance

Whenever I have stalled I look first to my logging accuracy:
    • am I estimating portion sizes? get back to weighing
    • am I logging absolutely everything with calories?
    • are my exercise calorie burns accurate?

Additionally I will look to any other changes I've made that might affect water retention:
    • am I taking in more sodium than normal
    • am I eating more carbs than normal
    • have I changed my workouts/intensity of my workouts
    • am I getting enough fibre
    • have I been sick or had an injury
    • have I drunk any alcohol.

• fitoverfortymom
    fitoverfortymom Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options
    Have you thought about a 1-2 week diet break of eating at maintenance?
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,012 Member
    Options
    MikeMTrain wrote: »
    I have lost 30 lbs since the beginning of the year when I started up the program again. The problem is that I cannot break through this mark on my current calorie intake (1710). When I do less on the calories I feel bad and this has been going on for three weeks. I started at 260.4 on Jan 1, now at 230.0. I run 4 days per week for about 50 minutes for a total of 4.85 miles on average which includes warming up for 5 minutes and cooling down for 5 minutes. Looking for what has worked for others. Thanks in advance

How long has it been since you've lost any weight at all? Is that 3 weeks a complete stop or just a slow down? Are you using a food scale?
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,129 Member
    Options
    I would be miserable too.

Are you eating more on those exercise days? That is how this site works.
  • JaydedMiss
    JaydedMiss Posts: 4,286 Member
    Options
    I think your just being impatient 1710 is low for a 230 lb man whose active. Relax. Breathe. Stress can cause scale stalls to iv been there done that one. Trust the process and work thats gotten you this far.
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,181 Member
    Options
    Sure you can. Just be patient. Eat some, not all, of your exercise calories. Avoid frequent days of excessive calories consumed.
  • 1BlueAurora
    1BlueAurora Posts: 439 Member
    Options
    I don't know what you mean when you say "I feel bad" on fewer than 1710 calories. Are you nauseous and headachey? Are you eating lean proteins, like chicken and eggs (74 calories each) (which would be good). Have you given up caffeine (you don't need to for weight loss). I eat some snacks to tide me over between meals and found that was a help, keeping me from getting fatigued. I also upped my water intake, since dehydration gives me headaches.
  • MikeMTrain
    MikeMTrain Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Thank you everyone for the responses. I will look at all angles and report back in a couple of weeks.
  • kq1981
    kq1981 Posts: 1,098 Member
    Options
    I lost 15kg and did not lose ANYTHING, for more than two months. This was because i didnt weigh food, i cut corners and wasnt 100% honest with my logging. Re-evaluate your diary entries, you've come all this way so you can continue to do it. Goodluck! :)