Snacking

Options
Throughout the day I snack on fruits and vegetables. Aside from one sometimes two granola bars a day I was looking for something with a little more volume to it. I read that whole grain popcorn can be fairly decent for you also as long as you don’t use butter and salt. Unfortunately I’m entirely too busy between work kids and food prep that I can’t pop my own popcorn so I’m using Newman’s own whole grain sea salt popcorn. I enjoy the plain popcorn but I want to get the most bang for my buck so I’m wondering if anyone has any suggestions on other snacks that are healthy similar to that? Or even outside of the box?

Replies

• rj0150684
    rj0150684 Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    Volume in what way? Volume per calorie? In that case, if you’re already doing veggies, that’s probably the best. Celery, cucumber, bell pepper, etc. if you’re looking for a non-fruit/veggie snack with volume, rice cakes are pretty good, beef jerky doesn’t have a ton of volume but it takes time to eat it. Shrimp are low calorie, so you can get decent volume/mass for your calories but when I just want to sit down and eat a bowl of something, I do popcorn like you already are.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    Pet peeve here. Get yourself a bag of discount no-name popping corn. Look at the kernels. They are all whole grain. All popcorn is whole grain. Otherwise it wouldn’t pop.

I have an air popper. I keep a sealed container on my counter for snacks.

Another alternative is puffed wheat. Also whole grain. And inexpensive.