Yoga!!

Options
Anyone have any yoga DVD recommendations? Really want to get into it but I have no idea where to start!

Replies

• quiltlovinlisa
    quiltlovinlisa Posts: 1,710 Member
    Options
    A live class with an interactive instructor to help you out, make sure you're lined up, give you modifications for poses is crucial for a newbie. After you learn the basics, then you can do DVD's.

I like Gentle Vinyasa Flow with Zyrka Landwijt
  • JenMc14
    JenMc14 Posts: 2,389 Member
    Options
    Rodney Yee is quite excellent. I also like Rainbeau Mars' stuff on the befit YouTube channel, and Tara Stiles isn't bad. I've found a few other random good ones through Google and YouTube searches. 10 Minute Solutions beginner yoga DVD is not bad, either.
  • kellynaylor
    Options
    I love yoga. I go once per week to a local yoga instructor. I would like to eventually start doing more yoga at home with tapes but I am still in the learning phase and think I need a "live" instructor. Good luck with everything.
  • TTHdred
    TTHdred Posts: 380 Member
    Options
    I also recommend a live class initially, if one is available. There are some yoga studios in my area that charge per class ($10) so you can take a couple. Rodney Yee DVDs are usually pretty good and some of them have the option to view instructional previews first. However, from my experience, “looking” at a pose and trying to mimic it is quite different from having someone literally “shift” your body into the right position. It is amazing what the smallest change in a pose can do. I would say once a week for a month is a good start. Then, once you are comfortable, with the basics a dvd will work just fine. That is, if you want to ge the most out of your yoga workouts.

Hope no one gets offended, but whatever you do, please don’t buy the Jillian Micheals one. While I like all her other DVDs, it’s just not yoga.
  • Ericandrop
    Options
    I agree-- if you have never done yoga before, you really should do a "live" class. It's so helpful to have a teacher come around and give you pointers, making sure your form is right so that you get the most benefit from the poses.
    The YMCA is usually a less expensive "gym option" and the ones I know of all have yoga classes. It's an affordable way to start.
    This last year I discovered yogadownload.com -- you get a membership (one is only for 3 months) and it allows you to stream unlimited classes AND download (as in, keep forever) a certain amount of videos. I think the 3 month membership is $25, but I got a groupon membership for around $12. For that I was able to download 15 classes! And the cool thing was, I could stream them first, try them out and THEN download only the ones I liked.
    I am currently doing yoga every other day and the elliptical every other day. It's been 45 days and I've lost 10 pounds and gained an inch in my biceps! Yoga is a strengthener... and my pants are loose, too.
    Anyway-- those are the inexpensive yoga options that I have found. And it's VERY nice to be able to try a video before you buy it.
    But, truly-- take some classes with "real people" to start out. You will see results. :-)
    oh-- and I know what TTHdred means-- Jillian Michael's yoga video is a bit much. Especially for a beginner!!
  • Icedancer94
    Options
    If you have an ipad or iphone, YogaStudio is a really, really, really good app. It has beginner, intermediate and advanced classes, of typed relaxation, flexibility, strength, balance and combination. The lengths of classes are 15, 30 or 60 minutes and there is an option to create your own classes. If you live in the US (which I don't :( ) there is a kind of rewards system or something as well, but as I live in England I'm not too sure about that bit! It was £2 or £3 but worth every penny in my opinion.