eating back calories

Options
I've been steadily losing weight for about four months. I eat 1200 calories a day...and according to my stationary bike I burn off 500 making my calorie intake roughly 700. I've hit a plateau at 140 lbs and I'm wondering if its because my metabolism has slowed down. I was going to start eating back my calories burned through exercise...but I'm afraid ill start GAINING weight then. Any and all advice appreciated...thanks!!

Replies

• violetlattice
    Options
    So long as you are eating at a deficit (calorie intake is lower than calorie burn) you will not gain weight. You might lose slower than you did at the beginning of your diet, but that is to be expected as your weight decreases. People here are going to tell you to up you intake to 1300+ cals, as well as eating back calories, in case your body goes into 'starvation mode' - personally I think that if you feel fine (i.e. aren't exhausted, can complete cardio, etc) you're fine. To reiterate: yep, you can eat back your calories - maintaining a deficit is all that matters. Good luck :)
  • anna_conkers
    anna_conkers Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    You'll still be at a deficit if you eat back your exercise calories, so you'll still lose weight. Eat 'em back!
  • helenrosemay
    helenrosemay Posts: 375 Member
    Options
    If you're hungry eat more, if you're not hungry don't. Just make sure you eat less calories than what you burn.
  • JesterMFP
    JesterMFP Posts: 3,596 Member
    Options
    If you're using MFP as it was designed to work, then by not eating any of your exercise calories back, you're doing it wrong. You're gong against the recommendation. With 1200 calories + exercise calories, you have a built in deficit. There is no reason you should gain weight unless you're under-estimating your intake, or over-estimating your calorie burn, or have an underlying medical issue. (Having said that, you may gain a couple of pounds as you increase the amount of food you're eating, but it's not fat, it's the extra weight of the food/weight in your system, and additional water retention.)
  • JesterMFP
    JesterMFP Posts: 3,596 Member
    Options
    If you're hungry eat more, if you're not hungry don't. Just make sure you eat less calories than what you burn.
    What about when you under-eat to the point where your body stops sending your brain the proper hunger signals (which is actually very common)? Eat then, or not?
  • howardheilweil
    howardheilweil Posts: 604 Member
    Options
    This is generally true, but 700 calories is definitely not enough for anyone. You should be netting at least 1200 calories... So, on days where you burn 500 calories, you should be eating 1700. Good luck!
  • PepperWorm
    PepperWorm Posts: 1,206
    Options
    You're creating too much of a deficit. Too much of a deficit is a bad thing.

Height? Age? Weight? Goal Weight? Activity level? Weekly exercise level?
  • lipsticknlattes
    lipsticknlattes Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    You should also think about switching up your routine. When you hit a plateau, that means that something needs to give. I always plateau at the 140 mark. Try to add some strength training while increasing your calories by 100 or so, give it two weeks and see if you lose more.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    I've been steadily losing weight for about four months. I eat 1200 calories a day...and according to my stationary bike I burn off 500 making my calorie intake roughly 700. I've hit a plateau at 140 lbs and I'm wondering if its because my metabolism has slowed down. I was going to start eating back my calories burned through exercise...but I'm afraid ill start GAINING weight then. Any and all advice appreciated...thanks!!

Keep in mind MFP gave you a calorie deficit BEFORE exercise. You won't gain weight back by eating back exercise calories. Keep in mind though, MFP and machines tend to overstate calorie burns. Some people choose to eat a portion on their calories back. Eating at least 1200 NET .... should help you maintain some muscle. When you eat 1200 and burn 500 ..... you burning muscle for fuel.
  • kluvit
    kluvit Posts: 435 Member
    Options
    If you've hit a plateau, it's worth making a slight change and maintaining it for a couple of weeks to see if it makes a difference. I found that when my weight loss stalled, that increasing my net calorie intake did help me start losing again. I chose to increase my calorie intake by about 100 - 150 calories per day, and slowly started losing again. I was already eating about half of my exercise calories back. I'd recommend trying one of these methods to see if it makes a difference.
  • Serah87
    Serah87 Posts: 5,481 Member
    Options
    You need to fuel your body, eat more!!!! MFP was set that YOU are supposed to eat back your exercise calories!!!! I doubt you hit a plateaued, your body is holding on to everything you eat.
  • megsmom2
    megsmom2 Posts: 2,362 Member
    Options
    for heaven's sake EAT. youre starving yourself and will eventually pay the price for that. And I can pretty much guarantee you that weight you lose this way will come back and bring friends with it.
  • joslyngoos
    joslyngoos Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I'm 24 right now I weigh 140 originally around 170 I use a stationary bi
    ke 35 minutes a day and once or twice a week I switch that for jogging I lift weights every other day for my arms and do vertical leg lifts for my abs. I don't feel hungry the way I'm eating now...but o want to continue losing weight. I've lost weight everywhere but o still have a few inches around my midsection that I'm the most concerned about.
  • deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    Options
    Feeling hungry or not is not an indication of whether or not you are getting enough food, and nutrients.

There are hormones in your body that regulate hunger and fullness, they are called leptin and ghrelin. When you eat too little, the hormone that says "I'm hungry, feed me" is suppressed. It is a survival mechanism. In times of famine, people survived on little food for long periods of time. In times of plenty, the "Eat Moar Foodz" hormone is stimulated so that we would store up fat to last through the lean times.
  • joslyngoos
    Options
    So basically after my exercise for the day I still want to have 1200 calories at the end of the day and this will allow me to continue losing weight while not depriving myself.
    My concern is...that since I've eaten 1200 and burned 500 for so long...that eating more will be counter active to my weight loss journey
  • deksgrl
    Options
    So basically after my exercise for the day I still want to have 1200 calories at the end of the day and this will allow me to continue losing weight while not depriving myself.
    My concern is...that since I've eaten 1200 and burned 500 for so long...that eating more will be counter active to my weight loss journey

You may have an initial gain, but after your body adjusts to the new calorie levels you will begin losing again.
  • joslyngoos
    Options
    I'm more concerned with inches not Weight...
  • deksgrl
    Options
    You might try adding 100 calories a day this week, then 100 more calories next week, etc. Keep in mind that calorie burn estimates are usually said to be over inflated. You might want to try eating 3/4 or half of what the bike says you burn.

Also suggest HIIT training instead of steady state cardio (if you are not already doing this). 30 minutes of HIIT can be more effective than 60 minutes steady state.
  • GauchoMark
    GauchoMark Posts: 1,804 Member
    Options
    when is the last time you recalculated your goals? You need to do that every 10 lbs or so or else you will "hit a plateau" but in reality, your body just doesn't need as many calories now that you are lighter.
  • GauchoMark
    GauchoMark Posts: 1,804 Member
    Options
    now that I re-read your post, you are only netting 700 calories. You need more food.