Food Database, wish we could clean up entries

Options
2»

Replies

• BarbieAS
    BarbieAS Posts: 1,414 Member
    Options
    I'm on board. It's getting worse and worse. I have to filter through so many personal entries and duplicate entries that logging takes forever. I just want my search to turn up official USDA or restaurant entries, and I can make personal entries that are private.

Just so you know, MFP is not exclusive to the U.S. :wink:

I suspect members outside the U.S. are also dissatisfied with the database interface.

And I would gleefully welcome a filter option for other entry sources besides just the USDA.

Right, it's not that the USDA info is the be-all-end-all and that there aren't other non-US sources that are absolutely in the same category and more than appropriate to include, it's just that the USDA entries are currently the only ones that are non-user generated, which means that they're currently the only ones that are guaranteed to have some shot at accuracy. I get that the database is primarily user-populated and that's part of what make this site unique (and free), and I certainly do use the user generated entries frequently, but to at least be able to sort/filter would be very very welcome.
  • chezjuan
    chezjuan Posts: 747 Member
    Options
    When putting in a recipe and searching for flour I really wish that FLOUR was the first thing on the list, not 20 items of flour torillas.

+ 1,000,000,000,000
  • chezjuan
    chezjuan Posts: 747 Member
    Options
    Yup, I've found that with produce all the time - tomatoes = yes. Tomato = no.

Find me an unstarred entry for regular white sugar. I dare you. (I can never remember the magic combination of words that pulls that one up.)

Sucrose
  • splashblob
    splashblob Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    I'd prefer to have choices to choose what unit to log the measurement. Some of the data that are input by MFP has this option where I can choose to log in gram, Oz, tbsp, tsp in one item but most of them are not.

Oh I am not the American but I prefer to use USDA database though because it have data on potassium level in the food too. So I can utilize it on high sodium day.
  • herblackwings39
    herblackwings39 Posts: 3,930 Member
    Options

Find me an unstarred entry for regular white sugar. I dare you. (I can never remember the magic combination of words that pulls that one up.)

Sugars- Granulated (sucrose)

Edit to add:
    For powdered sugar it is
    Sugars- Powdered
  • thefragile7393
    thefragile7393 Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    It would make me happy if I could add my ingredients from my recipes without it being such a hassle. Make options for all kinds of measurements! I can't find two tablespoons of almond milk for instance....I find almond milk but no options for tablespoons. It is almost impossible to get an accurate calorie count when I can't input my ingredients correctly!!!!!!!
  • BarbieAS
    BarbieAS Posts: 1,414 Member
    Options

Sugars- Granulated (sucrose)

Edit to add:
    For powdered sugar it is
    Sugars- Powdered

Oh, yes, that's right. It's plural. That makes PERFECT sense. :explode:

(PS - thanks to you and the other PP who did look it up. :flowerforyou: )
  • andrewquamme
    andrewquamme Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I use the app on my phone to scan barcodes. I just went to add a glass of almond milk and it came up as 1/2 a cup. The serving size on the container is 1 cup so I looked further... someone apparently only drinks 1/2 a cup so they made a new entry in the database instead of just entering .5 servings of 1 cup. Maybe if people had some basic math skills... but that seems to be lacking everywhere lately. I asked a girl at the YMCA the other night how long their track is, and her rely was "I'm not sure... but I know six laps is a mile.." *facepalm

Anyway, maybe if MFP offered a subscription service they could hire some extra people to clean this mess up. I don't know how popular it would be, but I know I would pay extra to get rid of all these ads.
  • MissNordicLight
    MissNordicLight Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    The problem is the search function, there should be some filtering options.

I live in France and I love that other members already have put in many items. I would not only want to have the USDA entries. It's a hassle to find entries in grams and dl instead of oz and what not.
  • beautifulwarrior18
    beautifulwarrior18 Posts: 914 Member
    Options

I live in France and I love that other members already have put in many items. I would not only want to have the USDA entries. It's a hassle to find entries in grams and dl instead of oz and what not.

That's crazy, I have a hard time finding things in ounces! Today it took me five minutes to find a can of pepsi. I wish you could type in pepsi and it gives you:
    pepsi
    diet pepsi
    blah blah blah and then you could choose ounce or gram and put in the ounces yourself.
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options

That's crazy, I have a hard time finding things in ounces! Today it took me five minutes to find a can of pepsi. I wish you could type in pepsi and it gives you:
    pepsi
    diet pepsi
    blah blah blah and then you could choose ounce or gram and put in the ounces yourself.

I'm fairly certain the poster you're responding to doesn't want to log Pepsi in grams. Grams is a measure of weight, not volume.

As for weight, just remember that 1 ounce = 28ish grams.