Omada program

Options
I am wondering if anybody is, or has taken part in this program. It was offered by my employer at no cost to me, so I figured it was worth a shot. The premise is that you have an online health coach and you are part of a small support group.

I've only started the program Monday (it's a 12 week program) and so far I'm not overly impressed. It did come with a really nice digital scale which sends my daily weigh-in to my coach. They are having us log our food, but there is no calorie counting or weighing. This may change, but as of now you simply write/type what you eat with no quantity or weight. You also decide if it's a big, regular or small meal, in addition to how healthy you think it is. Obviously, this is vastly different for everyone, and if you're not weighing or tracking the amount, I really don't understand how this information is helpful.

I've been at the weight-loss game long enough to know counting/weighing is necessary, at least for me. I get the feeling they are trying to have you make small changes very slowly. Because I've gained lately, I figured this may be a helpful tool. I plan on finishing the program (at least the daily weighing) but I was just wondering if anyone else has any opinions or success with Omada?

Replies

• kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    edited April 2018
    Options
    I haven't tried it, but even though I'm always skeptical to named diet plans and programs, I can't help feeling positively about what you are describing. It sounds like its purpose is to create a relaxed mindfulness about eating, and I am doing much of the same now - but I'm in maintenance - planning/logging meals in a spreadsheet.

For you, where you are now, it seems like more accuracy is necessary.
  • SisterSueGetsFit
    SisterSueGetsFit Posts: 1,211 Member
    Options
    I haven't tried it, but even though I'm always skeptical to named diet plans and programs, I can't help feeling positively about what you are describing. It sounds like its purpose is to create a relaxed mindfulness about eating, and I am doing much of the same now - but I'm in maintenance - planning/logging meals in a spreadsheet.

For you, where you are now, it seems like more accuracy is necessary.

I pretty much agree with you where diet plans and "programs" are concerned. I did my research though and also thought the benefits seemed positive. Plus, it's a $650 program I can do for free. If it doesn't work, no harm, no foul. :smile:

• Idontcareyoupick
    Idontcareyoupick Posts: 2,845 Member
    Options
    I'm also doing Omada through work. Like the scale also! Truthfully, I shouldn't have lost weight with omada alone. The lessons have some good points, but a lot of it is basic information. In say to use it as one of the tools in your toolbox. Continue to track on here, read the lessons for hidden gems, and use the scale to see how your weight trends. Not a bad program to bring awareness to food and eating habits, but mfp is the real reason I lost weight.
  • SisterSueGetsFit
    Options
    I'm also doing Omada through work. Like the scale also! Truthfully, I shouldn't have lost weight with omada alone. The lessons have some good points, but a lot of it is basic information. In say to use it as one of the tools in your toolbox. Continue to track on here, read the lessons for hidden gems, and use the scale to see how your weight trends. Not a bad program to bring awareness to food and eating habits, but mfp is the real reason I lost weight.

A tool in my toolbox...great way to put it. Yes, I feel I'm a little "beyond" what the program offers, but I will say the daily weigh-in going right to the coach is very motivational. Thanks for your thoughts!

• Idontcareyoupick
    Options
    You're welcome
  • Ocrgrrrl
    Ocrgrrrl Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    I just signed up for this program and I'm waiting for my scale to arrive. I already know how to lose weight, but just need this daily weight sent to a coach for motivation, accountability, and consistency. How is it going so far? I know you posted this in April.
  • SisterSueGetsFit
    Options
    Ocrgrrrl wrote: »
    I just signed up for this program and I'm waiting for my scale to arrive. I already know how to lose weight, but just need this daily weight sent to a coach for motivation, accountability, and consistency. How is it going so far? I know you posted this in April.

That’s great! I think it’ll be a good tool for you to use as motivation, but MFP is much better. I think it also depends on your coach. Unfortunately, mine is not very active or helpful. I wish you the best of luck, let me know how it goes!
  • Idontcareyoupick
    Options
    My group was very inactive although coach wasn't bad. Daily weigh ins are frustrating but does aid in accountability
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,982 Member
    Options
    I am wondering if anybody is, or has taken part in this program. It was offered by my employer at no cost to me, so I figured it was worth a shot. The premise is that you have an online health coach and you are part of a small support group.

I've only started the program Monday (it's a 12 week program) and so far I'm not overly impressed. It did come with a really nice digital scale which sends my daily weigh-in to my coach. They are having us log our food, but there is no calorie counting or weighing. This may change, but as of now you simply write/type what you eat with no quantity or weight. You also decide if it's a big, regular or small meal, in addition to how healthy you think it is. Obviously, this is vastly different for everyone, and if you're not weighing or tracking the amount, I really don't understand how this information is helpful.

I've been at the weight-loss game long enough to know counting/weighing is necessary, at least for me. I get the feeling they are trying to have you make small changes very slowly. Because I've gained lately, I figured this may be a helpful tool. I plan on finishing the program (at least the daily weighing) but I was just wondering if anyone else has any opinions or success with Omada?

Knowing someone is getting their weight daily may be sufficient for some people to make changes resulting in weight loss simply due to the Observer Effect.

https://simple.wikipedia.org/wiki/Observer_effect#Use_in_the_social_sciences

In the social sciences and general usage, the effect refers to how people change their behavior when aware of being watched (see Hawthorne effect). For instance, in the armed forces, an announced inspection is used to see how well soldiers can do when they put their minds to it, while a surprise inspection is used to see how well prepared they generally are.

https://simple.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hawthorne_effect

The Hawthorne effect is a form of reactivity. When the group which is under study knows about the study and their behavior changes after knowing that they are being studied, this change of behavior is the Hawthorne effect. For example: a group of 10 people are being studied for their health after exercising. Without knowing that they are being studied, they do or not do exercise, but after knowing that they are being studied they regularly do exercise.