Struggle Bus with My Macros

Options
Hey!

Trying to lose about 10% body fat (insert tears). I've lost some weight but in looking at my macros daily, I am always off. I am working with a nutrition consultant that encourages, High Fat and Less Carbs, but my macros on MFP are calculated way differently. My consultant wants me to eat around 120 carbs daily, I feel like that is too low. I can never hit the numbers. Anyway, I am looking for ideas on high protein, low fat food ideas. I am always over on fat and never hit the mark with protein. The fats I am eating are healthy fats (most of the time)....avocado, salmon, eggs, coconut/coconut oil.

Thanks for your help!

Replies

• rj0150684
    rj0150684 Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    Protein powder. Beef jerky. Game meats.
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Options
    Macros are personal preference, and don't directly affect weight loss, that's all calories. Macros can affect satiety and health, and different people find different macros filling.

High protein low fat foods might be something like low fat greek yogurt or cottage cheese, chicken breast, shrimp, canned tuna, lentils and beans, or protein powder.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    Other than making sure you get enough protein and fat, I am a strong believer that macros should make your life *easier* not harder. If you're consistently having to struggle to hit certain goals because you prefer eating another way, it's worth questioning why you picked that goal to begin with. If there is a compelling health, nutritional, or fitness reason, it's one thing. But if you're just doing it because someone has *told* you that it's the way for you to go, it may be time to set new goals.

Did your consultant explain why they picked the carbohydrate goal they did?
  • primalpam
    primalpam Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    You can manually change your macros in MFP. I would try your consultants advice in all honesty.
  • newshell_mom
    newshell_mom Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    She didn't say why she set the goal but said I ate too many carbs before and that I should be GF, dairy free and quit eating bananas. My goals are to get healthy, lose the last 7-10lbs and be able realistically to maintain it.
  • MSPRebel
    MSPRebel Posts: 5 Member
    edited April 2018
    Options
    There are a few groups on MFP that are tailored for low carb eating (I really enjoyed them) and most have recipes. Best of luck! You can do it!
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    kimny72 wrote: »
    She didn't say why she set the goal but said I ate too many carbs before and that I should be GF, dairy free and quit eating bananas. My goals are to get healthy, lose the last 7-10lbs and be able realistically to maintain it.

Some people do better sticking to their calorie goal if they eat lower carbs. But there is no reason to go GF or DF if you aren't allergic/intolerant as per a doctor. And avoiding bananas is typical click-bait Facebook troll level dietary advice. That one thing alone would suggest you shouldn't put much stock in what she says. What are her credentials? What is her degree?

If she didn't give you reasons, then she is just selling you the current fad dietary advice and probably just spent a couple of months online getting a certificate in current-diet-woowoo. Sorry :disappointed:

All of this^
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options

Do you have medical reasons to be gluten-, dairy- and banana-free? It sounds like she has an awful lot of rules and restrictions that aren't based in nutritional science.

You can be healthy while consuming more than 120 grams of carbohydrates a day. Same for consuming gluten, dairy, and bananas. You can lose weight and maintain it while doing those things too.

• kimny72
    edited April 2018
    Options
    So basically OP, you're on the struggle bus because you have been given unnecessary hoops to jump through! I'd suggest a simpler plan:
    1. Set your goal to lose 0.5lbs per week.
    2. Log accurately and consistently.
    3. Get on a good progressive strength training program.
    4. To eat healthy, focus on eating a variety of nutritious food, and try to get at least 0.6g-0.8g of protein per lb of your goal body weight, 0.3g of fat per lb, and 25g of fiber daily.
    5. Remember that psychological health is important too, and sometimes that requires a doughnut or a glass of wine, and that's okay.
    6. Be patient, as losing the last 10 lbs and "firming up" takes serious time. That little bit of fat loss can hide behind water weight fluctuations on the scale.

Good luck!
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    Macros are personal preference, so there's no need to do the macros your nutritional consultant is recommending unless there's a health reason and she's explained it (and is a registered dietitian). (Frankly, the recommendation to be GF, dairy free, and no bananas sounds like she's just a trend follower, unless there's a medical thing you aren't telling us.)

That said, I like eating around 120 g carbs often, and when I do the amount of fat I eat tends to go up. What kind of protein goal are you aiming for that it's hard to reach?
  • steveko89
    steveko89 Posts: 2,217 Member
    Options
    OP, "getting healthy", losing "those last 7-10 lbs", and "losing 10% body fat" are all drastically different goals. I definitely agree with others saying that being advised to follow a certain way-of-eating without being prompted by any medical restrictions should raise red flags about this person's motives and credibility.

The methodology @kimny72 laid out is spot on;set up with the correct calories/deficit, dial-in your logging (get a food scale if you don't have one already), make sure you're getting adequate protein, and pursue exercise requisite to your physique goals and what you like to do.
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    edited April 2018
    Options

It sounds like your first step toward success would be to fire that "nutrition consultant". As others have said, unless you have specific medical reasons for those diet recommendations, she's peddling silly woo.

A good reference for setting up your macros can be found here: https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/819055/setting-your-calorie-and-macro-targets/p1
  • newshell_mom
    Options
    The numbers she is recommending is:

40-60% fat
    Carbs-60-120g MAX
    30 g of fiber (she said I can subtract that from my carbs to get my 120 carbs)
    She said moderate protein (didn't give a number)
    700mg of sodium

I have a dairy intolerance but I was making adjustments before we met.
  • kimny72
    Options
    The numbers she is recommending is:

40-60% fat
    Carbs-60-120g MAX
    30 g of fiber (she said I can subtract that from my carbs to get my 120 carbs)
    She said moderate protein (didn't give a number)
    700mg of sodium

I have a dairy intolerance but I was making adjustments before we met.

And none of that will help you or hurt you in the goals you've told us you have, unless it makes it easier for you to hit your calorie goal. Does it?
  • newshell_mom
    Options
    It’s pretty difficult... the carbs are hard! Even if it’s veggies, it’s been hard.
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    What 700mg of sodium, that is below what anyone should get. Can be more dangerous not getting enough sodium than too much, for people that dont have high blood pressure. If you exercise you need to replenish sodium, not have less of it
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options
    It’s pretty difficult... the carbs are hard! Even if it’s veggies, it’s been hard.

Trying to adhere to a diet you're struggling to adhere to (especially when it's for unnecessary reasons) is a recipe for failure right from the get-go.
  • kimny72
    edited April 2018
    Options

Have you read any of the replies here?