Core Power Protein Shakes

Options
lporter229
lporter229 Posts: 4,907 Member
I was at the gas station and craving a coffee drink so I bought this Fair Life Core Power protein milk shake. Here is the nutrition info (per website and bottle):

NUTRITION FACTS
Serving Size 11.5 fl oz (340mL)
Servings Per Container 1
Amount Per Serving
Calories 210
Calories from Fat 30
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 3.5g
5%
Saturated Fat 2g
10%
Trans Fat 0g
Cholesterol 15mg
5%
Sodium 180mg
8%
Potassium 400mg
11%
Total Carbohydrate 21g
7%
Dietary Fiber 0g
0%
Sugars 19g
Protein 26g
52%
Vitamin A 15%
Calcium 70%
Vitamin D 40%

*Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet.

Ingredients: Filtered Lowfat Grade A Milk, Cane Sugar, Coffee Extract, Contains Less Than 1% of Honey, Pectin, Gellan Gum, Natural Flavors, Monk Fruit Juice Concentrate, Stevia Leaf Extract, Lactase Enzyme, Vitamin A Palmitate, Vitamin D3.

Contains Milk. Aseptically Pasteurized.

I am curious about the source of the protein. Is the milk concentrated and then some of the fat removed? How else can there be 26g of protein in 11.5 oz? If anyone knows, I would appreciate the info. Thanks!

Replies

• AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    edited April 2018
    Options
    lporter229 wrote: »
    ...I am curious about the source of the protein. Is the milk concentrated and then some of the fat removed? How else can there be 26g of protein in 11.5 oz? If anyone knows, I would appreciate the info. Thanks!

They explain a bit about the process on their website: https://fairlife.com/our-process/

tl;dr - it's all milk protein. They filter and recombine it to increase the protein content.
  • lporter229
    lporter229 Posts: 4,907 Member
    Options
    AnvilHead wrote: »
    lporter229 wrote: »
    ...I am curious about the source of the protein. Is the milk concentrated and then some of the fat removed? How else can there be 26g of protein in 11.5 oz? If anyone knows, I would appreciate the info. Thanks!

They explain a bit about the process on their website: https://fairlife.com/our-process/

tl;dr - it's all milk protein. They filter and recombine it to increase the protein content.

Thanks! I'm not sure how I missed that during my search. Although, their explanation was a bit lacking still.

I think that shake made me a little sick to my stomach. I'm not sure I will be doing those again.
  • jjpptt2
    jjpptt2 Posts: 5,650 Member
    edited April 2018
    Options
    They make a 42g protein version, too. I believe it's 42... but significantly higher than the 26g.
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options
    I've never tried their shakes, but I love their milk and drink it daily. I use their whole milk as creamer for my coffee and their nonfat milk for my protein shakes, with meals, etc.
  • BruinsGal_91
    BruinsGal_91 Posts: 1,400 Member
    Options
    The Core Power chocolate protein shake is my go to after a long run. I usually stick to the standard shake or the 'light' version. I tried the 42g and found it a bit too much. There is something immensely satisfying about chocolate milk after a run.