Couple questions

Options
So just a few question. How does the steps feature work on here? Why is it when you search stuff there is so many different choices with different calories? How do I know which one to pick?

Thanks for the help

Replies

• cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,112 Member
    Options
    The food database is crowd sourced.

Here's a how-to:
    https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10621050/how-to-use-the-usda-food-database-mfp-food-database-for-accurate-logging/p1

The steps thing is for Fitbit users or users of other body-tracking devices.
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Options
    I don't use the steps feature, so I can't help you there.

The database is mostly user-created. You need to check an entry the first time you use it, either to the package or to USDA published info which can be found by Googling. You also want to avoid using recipe-style entries (like 1 ham sandwhich, or one veggie omelette) as you have no idea what the user who created it put in their sandwhich or omelette. Log individual items or use the recipe builder.

If you read the "Most Helpful Posts" thread pinned to the top of the board there is a lot of great info in there. Good luck!
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    I have a FitBit synced to MFP. There are other APPS (and devices) that can be synced.....check the menu above.

The way a FitBit works is you get "extra" credit for steps above your stated activity level......not extra credit for all steps. You can also choose to enable negative calories so you would get calories taken away if you didn't meet your stated activity level.