Weight Machine Advice Needed

TKRV
TKRV Posts: 165 Member
When I use weight machines, I sometimes feel like I am favoring one side over the other. It is usually my right side, which makes sense because I am right handed. Is this normal? How long will it take me to feel like I am using my arms or legs (depending on the machine) equally? Am I really using my right side more or is it that my right side is somehow weaker than my left causing me to 'feel the burn' more on my right side?

I concentrate very hard on trying to use both arms or both legs equally to lift the weight. Aside from that, does anyone have any suggestions on how I can make sure I am balancing the weight equally among my limbs?

Replies

• JenMc14
    JenMc14 Posts: 2,389 Member
    If you really feel it's a big issue, and even concentrating on even distribution isn't helping, perhaps switch to dumbbells. Then you will be holding a weight with each side, independently of the other and forcing each to bear the same load.
  • jenhed96
    jenhed96 Posts: 12 Member
    I feel that way with certain machines, so I just use one arm at a time instead of both to make sure my left arm gets the same load. It takes longer that way, but I can't see the harm.
  • kefowler3
    kefowler3 Posts: 5 Member
    i am a runner and my coach says to always train each leg individually when you are using say a leg curl or leg extension machine. that way you will be able to focus on the muscles in each leg. You will most likely have to decrease the weights (I can do 65lbs for both legs on the leg extension machine, but for single legs, i start at 15lbs and work up to 25lbs at 2 sets of 25 or 3 sets of 16) make sure you are lifting each rep slowly and steadily; if you still feel that one is weaker, do 2 more reps on that side until you feel it is equally as strong as the other guy :) GL
  • TKRV
    TKRV Posts: 165 Member
    Thanks for the advice. Do you guys have any idea of a scale? For example, using a Leg Press I can do 90 pounds. Would you cut that in half if I was doing one leg at a time? Would you do the same for the arms and simply cut the weight in half?
  • kefowler3
    kefowler3 Posts: 5 Member
    depends on what kind of lifting you are going for on the leg press machine -- power or endurance?
    Power: cut overall weight for both legs by 40-50% (based on your 90lbs, try 45-55 lbs per leg) and do 3-5 sets of 3-5 reps
    Endurance: cut overall weight by 60-70% (based on your 90lbs, try 25-35 lbs per leg) and do 2 sets of 16-20 reps

You want your weights to be a challenging but not so much that youre holding your breath or feeling the need to grunt ;)

Also, I am a huge proponent of ditching the leg press machine because of the stress it puts on your knees and hips and it limits the muscles you can focus on. I would recommend trying to bar-bell squat or supported barbell squat; bar bell squats gives you the chance to work more of your muscles at the same time (depending on how far apart your feet are and how low you squat) whilst engaging your core for stability (better use of your time :D) If youre doing 90 lbs on the leg press, try starting with 70 lbs on the barbell and work up from there (the bar itself is about 45lbs) this video is a great resource for form of a barbell squat: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=40p1qQZTNRw