obese schizo patient...

Options
saynow111
saynow111 Posts: 125 Member
edited April 2018 in Food and Nutrition

I was (in the past ) before i become schizo the worst person in his diet eating fats , carbs , pure fats , margarine , meat everything you could imagine
before i contract scz illness i lost weight by high protein diet and running too much .... i lost about 40 kg (88 lb) and more than that
i become thin for the first time i become very happy
afterthat i become sczo i gained gradually weight it was like war at the end i lost the war
i am now 130 kg but i am tall 191 cm it is not that bad
my problem with diet i love carbs i love feel filling! but the good point now i dont like fats or oils thats the good point
anyone has good suggestion to lose weight
i still gaining weight despite not eating fats or oils

anyone has suggestion ??
carbs i mean :white small rice i eat too much of it not vegetables or fruit

Replies

• malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    You're gaining weight because you're eating too many calories. Start tracking what you're eating, make sure you DO eat an adequate amount of fat, and you'll lose.
  • kam26001
    kam26001 Posts: 2,799 Member
    Options
    White rice is pretty easy to get down. I like it because I'm trying to gain weight lol. Have you tried an alternative, like quinoa or millet? I feel fuller on 500 cals of quinoa than the same amount of white rice. Quinoa is also a complete protein and has more fat.
  • Sayanogo
    Sayanogo Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Are you on medication for your schizophrenia? Lots of anti-psychotics cause an increase in appetite. That can be really uncomfortable to try to fight through, so see if a chat with your med provider can reveal some different options.

Also, you mentioned you used to run a lot. Do you still? Do you enjoy it? More activity means you can eat more. If you're eating the same as a runner without running, you'll gain weight. Maybe pick it (or some other activity) up.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    Hi, my son was diagnosed Schizophrenic years ago and he enjoys a productive life, even if he gets over anxious sometimes. I am glad you have a diagnosis and treatment.

Try logging in all your meals for a day and see how many calories you are getting in a day. That will help you figure out where you might want to make changes.
  • saynow111
    saynow111 Posts: 125 Member
    edited April 2018
    Options
    i dont run but i can walk for long enough period
    yes i take medication
    no i don tried quinoa or millet
  • Keto_Vampire
    Keto_Vampire Posts: 1,670 Member
    edited April 2018
    Options
    Antipsychotics are notorious for weight gain; however, this does not mean you should stop taking meds.
    I would suggest you bring up this issue with your MD (blood glucose, HbA1C, weight/BMI, waist circumference, movement disorders/tardive dyskinesia, EKG/ECG, sexual dysfunction, glaucoma/IOP, etc. are all monitoring parameters for this class of drugs). It may or may not be feasible if you are already very stable on your current med...

Less weight gain associated antipsychotics include: Ziprasidone, Aripiprazole, Brexpiprazole (REXULTI still branded). Had someone similar to you switch to Ziprasidone & it made a world of difference for him in terms of being able to lose weight