Cutting the cable cord

DreamAmalfi
DreamAmalfi Posts: 211 Member
So, am getting really tired of dealing with my cable company and the ever increasing cost. I know many people have cut the cable cord and are streaming tv, movies etc....any pearls of wisdom, recommendations or ones to avoid? Also any recommended internet speed and bandwidth plan giving the streaming demand on the data? Grazie.

Replies

• km8907
    km8907 Posts: 3,861 Member
    @cee134

I just use the basic Netflix and Hulu. There's a lot more options though. I think I originally bought into the 75mbps and that was plenty. Comcast recently upgraded it to 100mbps at no extra charge. I have no issues streaming and don't miss cable at all.
  • cee134
    cee134 Posts: 33,711 Member
    You can get away with 10 mbps if you are the only one streaming. That's the minimum. I would up it to 15 to be safe but it's hard to find deals like that. 100 mbps is over kill but works better for families of 4 or multiple streaming devices.

I got rid of cable back in 2013. And even then I should of done it sooner. Cable is just paying for advertising now.

I have no problem finding something good to watch or watching my favorite shows.
  • DreamAmalfi
    Thanks all. I appreciate the comments!
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    I cut the cord when we moved and don't really miss it except for the occasional sporting event that I'm interested in, but it's on ESPN.

We cut it because we just don't watch that much t.v. in general...maybe an hour in the evening, and that's about it. We stream HULU and Netflix mostly, but I also have an antennae for local channels.

I got tired of paying $100+ per month for satellite when we barely watched it and were mostly watching local channels or Hulu anyways.
  • Motorsheen
    Motorsheen Posts: 20,492 Member
    I bought and installed an HD antenna.

I'm able to watch the only thing I care about watching on television ..... College Football.

Netflix & streaming Amazon is also in the mix.

No dish or cable bills.

The only thing I miss is a lil ESPN.
  • Motorsheen
    Motorsheen Posts: 20,492 Member
    Is there a cafeteria plan out there to select certain cable network stations?

( espn, tbs, big ten network etc. )
  • ekim2016
    ekim2016 Posts: 1,199 Member
    living in a beautiful basin surrounded by mountains, I cannot pull in any signals via antennae. So I keep my cable for news, baseball, football and some network shows. I also have Hulu, Netflix, Amazon... so I probably have overkill..haha I rationalize the expense by not going out wasting money in restaurants anymore.
  • singingflutelady
    singingflutelady Posts: 8,736 Member
    I have been using an android box for a few years. Who needs cable when you can get Kodi for free. I mostly watch using the Genesis reborn add on.
  • gophermatt
    gophermatt Posts: 129 Member
    We did Hulu, with the package that has locals and sports (only “live” TV we watch). Works fine, don’t skimp on the internet speed, though. 3 kids, 2 teenagers so we’re pushing. Not ala carte, but save a bunch every month.
  • Just_Mel_
    Just_Mel_ Posts: 3,992 Member
    I'd do it, but I have to watch my Thunder games. I've yet to hear of a way to still watch them without cable or satellite.
  • cee134
    I have been using an android box for a few years. Who needs cable when you can get Kodi for free. I mostly watch using the Genesis reborn add on.

Shhhhhhhh......
  • cee134
    I'd do it, but I have to watch my Thunder games. I've yet to hear of a way to still watch them without cable or satellite.

We should talk.
  • 100_PROOF_
    100_PROOF_ Posts: 1,168 Member
    I use Kodi now and don't miss cable at all.
    My last cable bill was 327$ because we had all the premium channels and a landline. Now I pay for just internet (100$).
    I look up anything I might feel like watching and can find most things with ease.
  • bbell1985
    bbell1985 Posts: 4,572 Member
    I've lived on my own since I was 18. I'm 32. I never had cable. Life is fine.

I didn't even have a tv until a week ago.
  • r3488
    r3488 Posts: 77 Member
    I've been considering trying out sling TV. Not quite a la carte, but you can choose either the orange ($20/month) or blue ($25/month) lineup (or both for $45) and then add on other "mini packages" for additional $5 each.
  • DreamAmalfi
    You guys rock. Lots of great ideas. I've been on the going to cut the friggen cable train for a while and almost did in October or so last year. I do believe the time has come.
  • DreamAmalfi

OK City Thunder?
  • Just_Mel_
    Just_Mel_ Posts: 3,992 Member

OK City Thunder?

kv07naeseat1.gif
  • xFunctionalStrengthx
    xFunctionalStrengthx Posts: 4,928 Member
    I use cable as my internet provider. But, don't do TV service. Instead, I have an HD antennae for the local channels which is a fair number of them at about 30 in my area. Then, I only have Amazon Prime, since I rarely watch any TV and can't justify more than that. Works for me.