13»

Replies

• ahoy_m8
    ahoy_m8 Posts: 3,053 Member
    edited April 2018
    Options
    yirara wrote: »
    ckrumins wrote: »
    There are many issues that could be contributing to this. I would personally see a counsellor as it sounds like you're eating emotionally. Also, it's not normal to have brain fog this much which is also a symptom of depression (I have been there for many years and I had this myself). I would suggest seeing your GP again and a mental health professional. Salt should not help with mental clarity either, too much salt is very bad for your health and can contribute to hypertension. Working out an appropriate meal plan with a dietician and going for short walks every day can help a lot for your mental state and weight loss. Please consider seeing any of these professionals. I am currently studying for my degree in nutrition. Also, low iron intake or anaemia can possibly cause the lethargy and brain fog you are describing. If you get to your GP and describe your symptoms they should be able to help.

Look, I've been suffering from extreme salt hunger on and off since earliest childhood! As a five year old I'd be ina driving parents to desperation mood all day, wait for my parents to go to bed, then sneak down into the kitchen, climb on the lower kitchen cabinets to reach the candy supply in the upper one. To grab a handful of pretzel sticks and chew the salt grains off, and put the pretzels back. And ignore all the other candy that would otherwise be irresistible. Or visit the stables of an uncle just to get to the horses' salt blocks (don't ask). How many small children do that?

Your description (especially the horses’ salt blocks!) made me think of this “medical mystery” column. https://well.blogs.nytimes.com/2014/09/05/think-like-a-doctor-weaker-and-weaker-solved/
    Not suggesting the same factors are at work, but the salt part seemed eerily similar. (((Hugs)))
  • yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,420 Member
    edited April 2018
    Options
    Just re read this -

Everything tested so far has been normal (I do ask for printouts). Well, what's consistently been low is albumin (finally need investigation), and all electrolytes apart from sodium. All vitamins and iron are fine. They would not be if I didn't take care of them though.

I miss-read it last time and thought your electrolytes were fine. If your electrolytes are consistently low, your high salt intake could be dehydrating you.

Try taking Nunns Tablets or something like Emergen-C (or Boots etc equivalent) for a few days and see if it makes the difference.

As an aside, could your need/want/satiation with carbs be at all connected to their water retention properties and your body trying to reach the appropriate hydration level?

Hoping the NHS gets to work on solving this mystery soon.

Cheers, h.

Thanks a lot hun,

Not quite. my salt hunger comes and goes. Whenever I ended up in hospital in the past I was in a 'goes' phase where I was just eating a normal diet without additional salt. And all electrolytes would be low with the exception of sodium. I only figured out in November that just dipping a finger in a box with salt does me so good and I overall feel better. Yet albumin and all other electrolytes remain low, and sodium in the middle of the range as before. I just feel better and don't crash anymore quite so badly - unless I am too active before breakfast, e.g. having to park far away from the office due to an endless construction side.
  • yirara
    Options
    ahoy_m8 wrote: »
    yirara wrote: »
    ckrumins wrote: »
    There are many issues that could be contributing to this. I would personally see a counsellor as it sounds like you're eating emotionally. Also, it's not normal to have brain fog this much which is also a symptom of depression (I have been there for many years and I had this myself). I would suggest seeing your GP again and a mental health professional. Salt should not help with mental clarity either, too much salt is very bad for your health and can contribute to hypertension. Working out an appropriate meal plan with a dietician and going for short walks every day can help a lot for your mental state and weight loss. Please consider seeing any of these professionals. I am currently studying for my degree in nutrition. Also, low iron intake or anaemia can possibly cause the lethargy and brain fog you are describing. If you get to your GP and describe your symptoms they should be able to help.

Look, I've been suffering from extreme salt hunger on and off since earliest childhood! As a five year old I'd be ina driving parents to desperation mood all day, wait for my parents to go to bed, then sneak down into the kitchen, climb on the lower kitchen cabinets to reach the candy supply in the upper one. To grab a handful of pretzel sticks and chew the salt grains off, and put the pretzels back. And ignore all the other candy that would otherwise be irresistible. Or visit the stables of an uncle just to get to the horses' salt blocks (don't ask). How many small children do that?

Your description (especially the horses’ salt blocks!) made me think of this “medical mystery” column. https://well.blogs.nytimes.com/2014/09/05/think-like-a-doctor-weaker-and-weaker-solved/
    Not suggesting the same factors are at work, but the salt part seemed eerily similar. (((Hugs)))

Cortisol has been tested and was apparently ok. Also, I guess sodium levels would be low and potassium high. Sodium though is normal and potassium low. thus no idea...
  • yirara
    Options
    Oh great! Decided on a spontaneous trip to see friends that I had cancelled due to lack of time. What happens? Come back, go to bed and woke up at midnight and couldn't stop throwing up. Guess a stomach bug or food poisoning. No more throwing up today but I just feel miserable. I'm super hungry but everything I see looks and tastes disgusting apart from cola ice lollies, which make me freeze badly.

These are the things that make me get very annoyed: I do something nice, and my body rebels one way or another. Ok, not stopping doing things as I love going out and about, but it's just so annoying.
  • Faebert
    Faebert Posts: 1,588 Member
    Options
    No advice to give on the medical situation, but for a low cal snack with a bit of extra salt try sprinkling some onto slices of pink lady apple. Sounds weird but tastes great! Best of luck getting it sorted.
  • 1BlueAurora
    1BlueAurora Posts: 439 Member
    Options
    My husband makes an olive oil/salt/pepper puddle on a plate and dips his bread in it. So there's one snack that has carbs and salt. When I crave salt, I grab some kalamata or green olives and a few small whole dill pickles. The pickles have almost no calories and I'm satisfied with just a few.
  • jessereysmith1993
    jessereysmith1993 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Have you tried intermittent fasting? It will help you build a better relationship with food! Good luck and know there is always help out there! Check out some transformations! Anyone can do it! Good luck sweet heart!
  • staraly
    staraly Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    You have had quite a few tests which rule out a few things already but some of your results and your symptoms could be related to allergies or histamine intolerance not allergy based. I have histamine intolerance (from long term undiagnosed and out of control allergies) and I know many of us go through electrolyte imbalances and salt cravings. I always carry satchets of electrolyte powder. Brain fog is another symptom. Histamine intolerance has a number of causes one of which is Mast Cell Activation Syndrome. Some people with this have a problem eating protein. Antidepressants and histamine intolerance together can create a minefield of problems. Allergies can also be behind that kind of relentless hunger that you can't control as normal digestive processes are altered.
    If you feel this is resonating with you, you should get to an allergist, immunologist, dermatologist or other health professional who can conduct tests. You can also try taking Vitamin C with each meal as it increases the enzyme that breaks down histamine. A low histamine diet can help. Anti histamines may or may not help depending on what's behind it.