Carb/sugar addiction

Options
2»

Replies

• rheddmobile
    rheddmobile Posts: 6,840 Member
    Options
    Taking a break from ultra-sweet foods and quick digesting carbs for about two weeks can help. Your blood sugars will get a break from the roller coaster, which causes cravings, and your taste buds will become more sensitive to natural sugars like the ones in fruit and milk. In the meantime, eat a reasonable amount of carbs, just slower digesting ones like dairy, berries, and legumes.

Don't purchase foods you have trouble moderating or have them in your house, and change your habits to avoid situations which cause you to overeat. For example, I changed the way I drive home so I don't stop at the convenience store where I used to buy icees, and I plan to have an appropriate snack for myself during TV watching instead of trying to tough it out, then giving in and grabbing a bag of chips.

When you get a handle on your eating, add back in appropriate portions of the foods you like.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,166 Member
    Options
    For me, increasing fruit helped. At first, I shot for 3 servings daily, and found that helped reduce my cravings for higher-calorie less nutrition-dense sweet treats (candy, baked goods). After a while the candy/baked goods started tasting unpleasantly simple and sweet. Doesn't work for everyone, but I'm not the only one who's reported this in other threads
  • FlyingMolly
    FlyingMolly Posts: 490 Member
    Options
    Keto fixed mine right up, but you might want to try some of the excellent and less drastic suggestions in this thread first. If they don’t do the trick, though, going cold turkey is an option and it works.
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    How does it manifest itself and what specific behaviors do you want to adopt?

I've been hoping for an answer to this all day. There are all kinds of things we can suggest to break food habits, but more specific information is always helpful.

I found that I did better by focusing on what I need to include in my diet instead of what to take out. Focusing less on which foods I felt I needed to cut out and instead putting my energy into getting 100 g of protein and my 5-7 servings of fruit and veg helped me make changes to my diet.