Fitness Apparel for Larger People

Options
y449iozdht6h.jpg

Someone please explain this to me... Why would UnderArmour (sponsor/owner of MyFitnessPal) only carry fitness apparel for tiny people? Oh wait - we have two bottoms that will fit someone who is a size 3X! And they are both a boring black! (excluding the little blocks of green on a pair of shorts I wouldn't be caught dead in)

It just frustrates me so much that the fitness apparel industry assumes that the only people who care about how they look when they are working out are smaller people. You would think that a fitness apparel company that is associated with one of the biggest weight loss websites would consider that bigger people exercise too! SMH

What are your comments and frustrations with this topic?

Replies

• concordancia
    concordancia Posts: 5,320 Member
    Options
    Walmart works for me. Sometimes Costco or Target.
  • pitbullmamaliz
    pitbullmamaliz Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    I've found some super cute, inexpensive workout leggings at both TJ Maxx and the clearance section of Target. :-)
  • MostlyWater
    MostlyWater Posts: 4,294 Member
    Options
    The place I get my spin shorts, Aerotechdesign.com, carries a lot of fun athletic wear for men and women in plus sizes. In addition, when I shop at Century 21, I often see XLs.

Plenty of places carry bigger sizes, you just need to know where to look!
  • renedalynn
    renedalynn Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the suggestions! :)
  • wildrootswellness
    wildrootswellness Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Old navy has great workout clothes in plus sizes as well!
  • Packerjohn
    Packerjohn Posts: 4,855 Member
    Options
    Unfortunately they have to produce what they can sell. When I look at the clearance racks there are few men's large or XL items but plenty of XXXL
  • svel713
    svel713 Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    Packerjohn wrote: »
    Unfortunately they have to produce what they can sell. When I look at the clearance racks there are few men's large or XL items but plenty of XXXL

The one time I looked at a Dick's Sporting Goods sale, I had the same issues in the women's section. The smaller the size, the fewer the amount of items. Everything was overpriced there anyway.

Best place to look would be Amazon. They have a lot of off-brand sports wear for cheap.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,988 Member
    Options
    I got some nice stuff at Lane Bryant a few years back. It would have been overpriced, but there were sales, coupons, etc.

I've also had good luck at Walmart and Kohl's.
  • kendraj404
    kendraj404 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    My friend started an athletic brand for larger ladies — check it out at rsportlife.com. It’s not cheap, but it’s nice and made by women!
  • MelanieCN77
    MelanieCN77 Posts: 4,047 Member
    Options
    kendraj404 wrote: »
    My friend started an athletic brand for larger ladies — check it out at rsportlife.com. It’s not cheap, but it’s nice and made by women!

Similar to above https://superfithero.com/
  • Cbean08
    Cbean08 Posts: 1,092 Member
    Options
    I agree that it's about the levels of demand, especially with a brand that is a little more expensive. People who are looking to lose weight probably won't invest as much in their workout clothes since they are expecting to shrink out of them. However, multiple time triathlete who needs performance bike shorts that they will expect to wear over and over again until they fall apart? Likely to spend more and buy multiple pairs of the same shorts.
  • amelialoveshersnacks
    amelialoveshersnacks Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    I didn't really go crazy buying gym clothes. I did get 2 pairs of compression full length tights (skins) to minimise muscle soreness when I first started walking and a runner's t-shirt. Then once I'd formed the habit of moving more every day, I joined the gym. I didn't buy alot of gym clothes then either, except 2 pairs of tights in my current size and one in the next size down. That didn't last long though as I preferred to wear my clothes that are too big and yet I can't bring myself to let them go. I also find them to be a nice little 'remember when....'.
    That being said, on any given day I do look like the oddball at the gym in my 'normal' clothes BUT I can't justify the expense of fitness apparel. And it aint no fashion show anyway. (It's what I tell myself when I'm feeling self-conscious) lol. Maybe I'll get some, I don't know.
  • renedalynn
    Options
    kendraj404 wrote: »

checking it out right now!! :)

• brookesdsu
    brookesdsu Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    Nike makes plus size workout clothes - at least to a 3x - I just bought some at Scheels. I also really like the workout clothes at Lane Bryant.
  • solieco1
    solieco1 Posts: 1,559 Member
    Options
  • renedalynn
    Options
    Cbean08 wrote: »
    I agree that it's about the levels of demand, especially with a brand that is a little more expensive. People who are looking to lose weight probably won't invest as much in their workout clothes since they are expecting to shrink out of them. However, multiple time triathlete who needs performance bike shorts that they will expect to wear over and over again until they fall apart? Likely to spend more and buy multiple pairs of the same shorts.

Obviously you are right because every site I've looked at from the suggestions are way too expensive for my taste.. :blush: www.junonia.com seems to be the winner. Their pants are half the cost of the other ones (although I sincerely appreciate the recommendations!)

• 2aycocks
    2aycocks Posts: 415 Member
    Options
    Personally I could care less about the color. But as a woman I really don't want to put a bright color on a big rear end. I'd rather wear black. My issue is finding something made in a design I can wear. I'm not twenty any more and I'm not wearing a crop top and spandex shorts.
  • WillingtoLose1001984
    WillingtoLose1001984 Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    renedalynn wrote: »
    y449iozdht6h.jpg

Someone please explain this to me... Why would UnderArmour (sponsor/owner of MyFitnessPal) only carry fitness apparel for tiny people? Oh wait - we have two bottoms that will fit someone who is a size 3X! And they are both a boring black! (excluding the little blocks of green on a pair of shorts I wouldn't be caught dead in)

It just frustrates me so much that the fitness apparel industry assumes that the only people who care about how they look when they are working out are smaller people. You would think that a fitness apparel company that is associated with one of the biggest weight loss websites would consider that bigger people exercise too! SMH

What are your comments and frustrations with this topic?

I agree! Big people want cute workout clothes too!