I don't get it...

Options
I was told today by a "low carber" that I shouldn't eat fruit (I am trying to cut back on my sugar intake). But in the same conversation, he said that he went to McDonalds, ordered a big mac and removed the buns....so....hum.....fruit is bad, bunless big mac is good....

Can anyone explain? I mean I do love bananas and peaches but I never really thought they are the core of my being fat...

Replies

• nomeejerome
    nomeejerome Posts: 2,616 Member
    Options
    I was told today by a "low carber" that I shouldn't eat fruit (I am trying to cut back on my sugar intake). But in the same conversation, he said that he went to McDonalds, ordered a big mac and removed the buns....so....hum.....fruit is bad, bunless big mac is good....

Can anyone explain? I mean I do love bananas and peaches but I never really thought they are the core of my being fat...

Calorie surplus is how people gain weight.

Unless you have a medical condition, eat the fruit.
  • Mokey41
    Mokey41 Posts: 5,769 Member
    Options
    Don't get hung up on low carb, low fat, low sugar, good food, bad food. Track your calories, stay in budget and all will be well. Unless you have a medical condition that says you need to avoid some food or macro don't worry about it.
  • TribeHokie
    TribeHokie Posts: 711 Member
    Options
    Eat whatever works for you. Low carb high fat diets may result in weight loss but they can also result in more strain on the heart.

http://www.webmd.com/heart-disease/news/20090401/how-the-atkins-diet-fares-in-cholesterol
  • maritsa88
    maritsa88 Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    Today i got over the limit of fat and my subtotal calories are over the limit! Well white cheese and fruits maybe have theis sugar and proteins but these are thegood ones for the body! it would be good if you search and buy books about nutrition! That helps some time!
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options

Neither food should be demonized. Eat the food you enjoy that keeps you satiated at levels that will help you attain your goals. Everything else is just bickering over personal preference of what "works better".
  • PepperWorm
    PepperWorm Posts: 1,206
    Options
    Today i got over the limit of fat and my subtotal calories are over the limit! Well white cheese and fruits maybe have theis sugar and proteins but these are thegood ones for the body! it would be good if you search and buy books about nutrition! That helps some time!

lolwut.
  • herblackwings39
    herblackwings39 Posts: 3,930 Member
    Options
    A bunless big mac fits the low carb eating style better than the bun or even a piece of fruit. I don't think it's good or bad, food is food to me, but if you enjoy fruit eat it.
  • xtruexlove1988
    xtruexlove1988 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    i you like fruit eat fruit just walk or dance a big mac is processed and has lots of salt and that can hold on some pounds but if you have water you ok
  • megsmom2
    megsmom2 Posts: 2,362 Member
    Options
    Fruit is not bad...it is high in sugar, hence carbs...so a low carb person won't eat a lot of it. A bunless Big Mac is low carb...the carbs are in the bread. When I did Atkins a few years ago we would frequently get Wendy's double cheeseburgers...without the buns...and it was a very satisfying low carb meal. If you're not low carb eating though, a Big Mac is probably not a great choice, but if it fits your macros for the day, have one now and then.
  • JessG11
    JessG11 Posts: 345 Member
    Options

Neither food should be demonized. Eat the food you enjoy that keeps you satiated at levels that will help you attain your goals. Everything else is just bickering over personal preference of what "works better".

Gotta concur with this. This is what I was getting at. I'm not sure why fruit is demonized when it comes to weight loss.
  • dwendling63
    Options
    I too have to watch my insulin / sugar intake but love fresh fruits and veggies. I have found using my MFP tool bar of logging my food consumption what fruits are better choices eat. I have learned to limit my banana consumption... or peaches or mangos....but choose berries (strawberries, blue and black berries, raspberries etc...), grapes, plums and pears. But hey...if you are craving a banana cut it in half and enjoy :) 1/2 may do the fix...or slice a quarter in a cup w/ some berries and a table spoon on yogurt and make a parfait. Happy Eatting!
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options

Eating more calories than are burned is why people get fat. Some people find it easier to cut calories by cutting carbs. Some don't.
  • dwendling63
    Options
    You are already making wise choices by research and asking others for advise.
  • __Di__
    __Di__ Posts: 1,630 Member
    Options

It sounds like he is on the Atkins Diet or something similar. He is on low carb, does not eat fruit (most likely eats strawberries though, they can eat those) and chucks away the buns on McDonalds.

Unless you too, are doing the Atkins Diet, ignore his advice and eat fruit if you want to, just stay within your daily calorie allowance.
  • nomeejerome
    nomeejerome Posts: 2,616 Member
    Options

Gotta concur with this. This is what I was getting at. I'm not sure why fruit is demonized when it comes to weight loss.

It is unfortunate that people demonize food, but it happens. Enjoy your fruit. :flowerforyou:
  • katekross
    katekross Posts: 463 Member
    Options
    Key word is moderation :)
  • jdm_taco
    jdm_taco Posts: 999 Member
    Options
    I rarely listen to people that avoid carbs.
  • deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    Options
    Unless you are a diabetic, or under the direction of a doctor, there is no need to avoid fruit or other carbs.
  • corgicake
    corgicake Posts: 846 Member
    Options
    Eat whatever works for you. Low carb high fat diets may result in weight loss but they can also result in more strain on the heart.

http://www.webmd.com/heart-disease/news/20090401/how-the-atkins-diet-fares-in-cholesterol

That was a study of a straw man, not a study to find out what the first phase of Atkins does when used as directed. They used macro proportions intended to be applied to portions appropriate for weight loss and for a short duration at that instead of the macros actually intended for maintenance.

Do what makes sense for you. I don't do Atkins but I'd rather that those who do and want to know the risks of their diet have decently designed studies that will tell them about the risks of their diet.

Edit: spelling corrected.
  • barc0040
    barc0040 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Fruit is good. It's all natural, and very low on the caloric density scale. It's natures candy, so eat in abundance! Low carb diets are proven to fail for most people as the gain the weight back and or suffer heart problems. The earliest humans survived off carbs and starches. Have at em'!