Need a new fitness tracker

Options
My fitbit died and they don't make the model I like anymore. So I need a new tracker. It can be another fitbit or it can be another brand. I mainly want a HR monitor and an accelerometer along with basic step tracking. It would be nice if it were at least water resistant and had the ability to track other activity like biking, and if it can notify me of text messages and calls and control music through my phone (iOS) then great, but not necessary.

So let me hear your testimonials for what you use and why I should get one too!

But no fighting with each other, because people like what they like and that's totally fine.

Replies

• gcconroy29
    gcconroy29 Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    I'm loving my Garmin vivoactive 3, I bought it as a reward when I got halfway to my first goal weight. It is waterproof, it is supposed to track swimming, but I can't vouch for that. But I wear it in the shower so I don't waste a half hour washing my hair its been fine in there.

I'm not a biker, but it has an option to track biking, and it has the text/music controls you mentioned. It can also help track reps when doing strength work. One thing it tracks that I didn't think I cared about, was the flights of steps you climb a day. Now that I get a little green check after climbing 10 flights a step, I've started doing 2 flights of stairs at work throughout the day, I usually hit 10 by the time I leave for home. Its just a little bonus that has helped me get in shape.

It's really customizable and I don't think I've even learned half of the things its capable of doing. I wanted something that looked more like a watch. I'm (hopefully) attaching a picture of what my last run looks like on Garmin Connect850x5bvy3i6k.png

• mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    Options
    i like the Garmin products. i have a vivosmart hr.
    i prefer the waterproof to 5atm
    they have a world of products to fit all needs and pricepoints
  • jennifer_417
    jennifer_417 Posts: 12,344 Member
    Options
    I have a FitBit Alta and I really like it.
  • wolverine66
    wolverine66 Posts: 3,780 Member
    Options
    bump for some more opinions, please.
  • Colorscheme
    Colorscheme Posts: 1,179 Member
    Options
    Samsung Gear Fit 2 is great. I went through like 5-6 fitbits, then I switched to the Samsung.
  • checkmatekingtwo
    checkmatekingtwo Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    I recommend GARMIN products. Water-resistant and, the big plus for me, they run on a watch battery, so you don't have to constantly remember to charge the thing --- just replace the battery once a year. I really LOVE my Garmin.
  • KaleiAlanaSmith
    KaleiAlanaSmith Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    Fitbit VERSA!!!!!! It's AMAZING. I upgraded form the Charge HR and I love it. It's waterproof, has soooo many little awesome gadgets and is super accurate towards working out and steps. Battery lasts 5 days and even will notify you when it's time to charge :) It also has app notifications for your phone! It's the best fitness tracker i've ever bought.
  • kmarc33
    kmarc33 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I'm also a Garmin fan (went from a Vivoactive to a Vivoactive 3). But for research, check https://dcrainmaker.com/. I can't recommend that site enough. Good luck
  • Tacklewasher
    Tacklewasher Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options
    I recommend GARMIN products. Water-resistant and, the big plus for me, they run on a watch battery, so you don't have to constantly remember to charge the thing --- just replace the battery once a year. I really LOVE my Garmin.

Not sure which Garmin yo have that does this, but most don't. Most are rechargeable and last 3-7 days on a charge.

I have a Fenix 3hr and like it, but it's big (same size as a 5x). Have used it biking, swimming, running, snowshoeing, X-Country skiing and wear it 23.5/7 (take it off when I shower to charge it most days).
  • idioblast
    idioblast Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    I've used both Garmin and Fitbit. I found that while I did really like the Garmin (I had a vivoSmart), I preferred the fitbit app. I wore the Garmin and a fitbit at the same time for quite a few weeks. Step count was very similar, but I found that I always went to the fitbit app to check my progress. More of my real life friends and family have fitbits too, so it makes challenges a lot more interactive and fun. I ended up giving up my Garmin vivoSmart for a Fitbit Blaze and am about to upgrade to the Versa.
  • LeeBo_Photo
    LeeBo_Photo Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I mainly want a HR monitor and an accelerometer along with basic step tracking. It would be nice if it were at least water resistant and had the ability to track other activity like biking, and if it can notify me of text messages and calls and control music through my phone (iOS) then great, but not necessary.

I have the series 3 Apple Watch on LTE and absolutely love it. I also love being able to go on my walks and bike rides and leaving my phone at home.

• endermako
    endermako Posts: 787 Member
    Options
    My Polar A370 has a 24/7 HRM along with steps/activity and what not, it's been very accurate for me when it gives me my TDEE too.
  • Tacklewasher
    Options
    idioblast wrote: »
    I've used both Garmin and Fitbit. I found that while I did really like the Garmin (I had a vivoSmart), I preferred the fitbit app. I wore the Garmin and a fitbit at the same time for quite a few weeks. Step count was very similar, but I found that I always went to the fitbit app to check my progress. More of my real life friends and family have fitbits too, so it makes challenges a lot more interactive and fun. I ended up giving up my Garmin vivoSmart for a Fitbit Blaze and am about to upgrade to the Versa.

This is a fair statement. Garmin tries, but it really isn't a "social" app. If the social part of the Fitbit appeals to you, you will be disappointed in Garmin.

The Versa looks like a decent watch. My main thing with Fitbit is most are not waterproof, so they are no good for swimming. The Versa is I see. And you can store music on it.

• aokoye
    aokoye Posts: 3,495 Member
    Options
    My fitbit died and they don't make the model I like anymore. So I need a new tracker. It can be another fitbit or it can be another brand. I mainly want a HR monitor and an accelerometer along with basic step tracking. It would be nice if it were at least water resistant and had the ability to track other activity like biking, and if it can notify me of text messages and calls and control music through my phone (iOS) then great, but not necessary.

But no fighting with each other, because people like what they like and that's totally fine.

Because of the music bit I'd suggest the Garmin Forerunner 645 Music.
  • Tacklewasher
    Options
    aokoye wrote: »

Music can be had on the Versa (just learned this), Samsung Gear and the 645.

I went a different route with music and bought Samsung Gear Iconx true wireless headphones that have 4 gb of storage so I can put my run mix on them and not need my phone with me. Plus they stay in my ears. First pair I've bought that I don't find uncomfortable and they stay put. Not having any wires is nice. Went through 5 pairs before settling on these. Only downside is they are a bit hard to control and turning some features on and off without the phone app is a bit of a pain.
  • mutantspicy
    mutantspicy Posts: 624 Member
    Options

I went a different route with music and bought Samsung Gear Iconx true wireless headphones that have 4 gb of storage so I can put my run mix on them and not need my phone with me. Plus they stay in my ears. First pair I've bought that I don't find uncomfortable and they stay put. Not having any wires is nice. Went through 5 pairs before settling on these. Only downside is they are a bit hard to control and turning some features on and off without the phone app is a bit of a pain.

Lol. My mom bought me some wireless earbuds for Xmas then my Dog ate them. :) So I'm in the market for new ones, I like the idea of 4gb storage, so I don't have to take the phone with me. That's awesome!
  • Tacklewasher
    Options

Lol. My mom bought me some wireless earbuds for Xmas then my Dog ate them. :) So I'm in the market for new ones, I like the idea of 4gb storage, so I don't have to take the phone with me. That's awesome!

My big issue now is loading more music in the 180 bpm range for my longer runs so I don't have so many repeats. I'm not sure how long they will last but I ran 2 1/2 hours Sunday without missing a beat (get it, a beat, I kill myself).
  • fitoverfortymom
    fitoverfortymom Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options
    gcconroy29 wrote: »
    I'm loving my Garmin vivoactive 3, I bought it as a reward when I got halfway to my first goal weight. It is waterproof, it is supposed to track swimming, but I can't vouch for that. But I wear it in the shower so I don't waste a half hour washing my hair its been fine in there.

I'm not a biker, but it has an option to track biking, and it has the text/music controls you mentioned. It can also help track reps when doing strength work. One thing it tracks that I didn't think I cared about, was the flights of steps you climb a day. Now that I get a little green check after climbing 10 flights a step, I've started doing 2 flights of stairs at work throughout the day, I usually hit 10 by the time I leave for home. Its just a little bonus that has helped me get in shape.

It's really customizable and I don't think I've even learned half of the things its capable of doing. I wanted something that looked more like a watch. I'm (hopefully) attaching a picture of what my last run looks like on Garmin Connect850x5bvy3i6k.png

I have this also and love it.
  • cheryldumais
    cheryldumais Posts: 1,907 Member
    edited April 2018
    Options

Not sure which Garmin yo have that does this, but most don't. Most are rechargeable and last 3-7 days on a charge.

I have a Fenix 3hr and like it, but it's big (same size as a 5x). Have used it biking, swimming, running, snowshoeing, X-Country skiing and wear it 23.5/7 (take it off when I shower to charge it most days).

I have the Vivofit 2 and it runs on watch batteries. I got about a year and a half last time before changing batteries and even then it was working I just figured I would need to change them. It has no heart monitor tho. I love mine.