Running chest ache

Options
This is probably a really daft question and is a normal thing but I thought I'd ask. I've recently taken up running as I wanted to try something new. I've always been active through competitive swimming, going to the gym, dance and fitness classes (spinning, piyo) so I thought I was in pretty good shape and would have said I was physically fit.

However when I run I get an ache in my chest (at the top of my sternum) not long after I start. I'm only doing short runs of 30 sec jog, 1 min walk to get me into it. It's frustrating as my leg muscles don't feel like they're being worked enough but I have to frequently stop because of the ache in my chest. I was wondering if it's a fitness thing- I've never been a runner so it is a new type of exercise for me. I assumed because of my swimming that I had good cardiovascular fitness, but is running a totally different thing? It's not actually painful so is it something that is likely to ease as I get used to running?

Replies

• cmh308
    cmh308 Posts: 317 Member
    Options
    You're probably going to fast. When starting to run you really need to slow down and then slow down even more.

I swam competitively my entire life and through college and started running in grad school so I know the transition is awkward. But slowing down is really the best you can do even if you feel silly and like you are barely moving. Also using an app like C25k will be great especially since you're already okay with doing short intervals.

Happy running!
  • rj0150684
    rj0150684 Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    Sometimes I get tightness in my upper chest/shoulders from keeping my arms up and too tight/rigid. If I make an effort to relax my arms and let my forearms/hands flop around a little bit while I go, it usually stops.
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options
    cmh308 wrote: »
    You're probably going to(o) fast. When starting to run you really need to slow down and then slow down even more...
    ^ That's a good start right there. Try slowing down and see what happens. Many people start off trying to run too fast.
  • cmh308
    cmh308 Posts: 317 Member
    Options
    AnvilHead wrote: »
    cmh308 wrote: »
    You're probably going to(o) fast. When starting to run you really need to slow down and then slow down even more...
    ^ That's a good start right there. Try slowing down and see what happens. Many people start off trying to run too fast.

Oh man thanks for catching my dumb typo.