Calories burnt for strength training/weights

Options
Hi all any way to work out calories burned through Strength Training, Or am I gonna need to invest in a New Gadget? :) Thanx

Replies

• michaelmadonna
    michaelmadonna Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    From what I've learned through these forums and other internet research, discussions with fitness professionals etc, is that there is no real way to calculate calories burned for weight lifting. HRM are not made for this and are only good for cardio activities. I've seen in a number of places estimates of 300 calories per hour but it will always depend on intensity and rest between sets/excorcises as well as your own body size and LBM. MFP under cardio activity has weight training and that gives me a bit under 250 calories per hour, I usually only record half or even less of the time lifting - say I spent an hour and fiteen minutes, I'll log 30 minutes weight lifting under cardio for about 130 calories - this way I'm not overestimating the caloric burn of the activity.
  • Sonj1973
    Sonj1973 Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    From what I've learned through these forums and other internet research, discussions with fitness professionals etc, is that there is no real way to calculate calories burned for weight lifting. HRM are not made for this and are only good for cardio activities. I've seen in a number of places estimates of 300 calories per hour but it will always depend on intensity and rest between sets/excorcises as well as your own body size and LBM. MFP under cardio activity has weight training and that gives me a bit under 250 calories per hour, I usually only record half or even less of the time lifting - say I spent an hour and fiteen minutes, I'll log 30 minutes weight lifting under cardio for about 130 calories - this way I'm not overestimating the caloric burn of the activity.

Yeah that makes sense, I was wondering how it would be possible to calculate, well thanx for that :)....