4”11 and need advice

I’m 4”11 and need calorie advice mfp gives me 1200 calories for loss and maintaining

Replies

• middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,487 Member
    Yeah, at 5'1, 54yo, and 130lbs I had 1200 to lose and 1200 for sedentary maintenance.

I lost at 1lbs a week for a few weeks then it just kept dropping. By the time I had 5-8lbs to go it was less than 1lbs a month so I cut the 200 cals I ate back for exercise to 150 just to keep the scale moving.

It took a year almost to get to 105lbs, but i have maintained the weight for 8yr, so well worth the slow rate of loss.

I maintain now on about 1600 cals (exercise included).

Make sure your deficit is in line with the amount of weight you want to lose.

With 25-30 lbs to lose 1lbs a week, and dropping, was correct for my goals.

The general guideline is -
    100+ 2lbs a week
    50-75, 1.5lbs a week
    25-50, 1lbs a week
    Anything less than 15-20 lbs .5lbs a week.

Cheers, h.
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    Yeah, at 5'1, 54yo, and 130lbs I had 1200 to lose and 1200 for sedentary maintenance.

I lost at 1lbs a week for a few weeks then it just kept dropping. By the time I had 5-8lbs to go it was less than 1lbs a month so I cut the 200 cals I ate back for exercise to 150 just to keep the scale moving.

It took a year almost to get to 105lbs, but i have maintained the weight for 8yr, so well worth the slow rate of loss.

I maintain now on about 1600 cals (exercise included).

Make sure your deficit is in line with the amount of weight you want to lose.

With 25-30 lbs to lose 1lbs a week, and dropping, was correct for my goals.

The general guideline is -
    100+ 2lbs a week
    50-75, 1.5lbs a week
    25-50, 1lbs a week
    Anything less than 15-20 lbs .5lbs a week.

Cheers, h.

Maybe this thread will be helpful. I am unclear what the goal was for OP by reading this thread or what has transpired since January. But it seems to be fitting that 1200 calories is maintenance???

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/comment/41202628#Comment_41202628
  • middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,487 Member
    Jeezzzzz, how did you find that @roxiedawn? :)
    I had forgotten that detailed explanation.

Still haven't done a test log but a 3 week vacation with all you can eat and drink was only a gain of 0.2lbs. Methinks I may be able to add another glass of wine a day. OK in reality add another 100 cals to the 1600 estimate.

Off to the UK in a few days so a good test log will have to be somewhere in July. (Didn't do the March test log cos I was in the Caribbean.)

Much amused, h.
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    Jeezzzzz, how did you find that @roxiedawn? :)
    I had forgotten that detailed explanation.

Still haven't done a test log but a 3 week vacation with all you can eat and drink was only a gain of 0.2lbs. Methinks I may be able to add another glass of wine a day. OK in reality add another 100 cals to the 1600 estimate.

Off to the UK in a few days so a good test log will have to be somewhere in July. (Didn't do the March test log cos I was in the Caribbean.)

Much amused, h.

LOL.. Sometimes I have reverse dementia where my memory allows me to recall things seen months and months into the past. It seems to be on Fridays. :laugh:
  • apullum
    apullum Posts: 4,838 Member
    Sorry, but as a short person, 1200 may be a reasonable calorie goal for you. I’m just under 5 feet, lost weight at 1200, maintain at 1400. BUT, that doesn’t include exercise.

However, your maintenance calories should not equal your weight loss calories. What is your current weight and how much do you want to lose?
  • DawnEmbers
    DawnEmbers Posts: 2,451 Member
    Some more information would be helpful. Current weight and activity level does have a play. For me, same height I was maintaining around 135 at between 1800 and 1900 calories with lifting 3-4 days a week and on feet all shift at work. Am slowly losing (slowly) at averaging 1400 with a little extra walking added since I now don’t walk around as much in my current position though stand all shift still. Eventually will be down to 1200 to lose but holding off for as long as I can and trying to keep fairly active for varying reasons.