Fluffing egg whites for”cloud” recipes

Options
pinggolfer96
pinggolfer96 Posts: 2,248 Member
A lot of people call it cloud bread or cookies...etc when beating egg whites with tartar to bake low cal options, I was curious if you could use carton egg whites, or do they not have the right consistency? Thanks!

Replies

• JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    Options
    I've beat egg whites from a carton of egg whites for a merengue topping to a dessert my mother frequently made. Her recipe notes were re-discovered by my step-mom in a cookbook my deceased father left in her possession. Yes, the resulting merengue was the right consistency.
  • vallary14
    vallary14 Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    Sure you can, but if you separate whole eggs I think it would turn out better. Carton advantage may be less labor intensive, but buy a dozen eggs for less money and they’re fresher.
  • deannalfisher
    deannalfisher Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    You can but I find they don’t fluff up as much as real egg whites
  • bpetrosky
    bpetrosky Posts: 3,911 Member
    Options
    If the OP is a halfway competent fluffer he can manage to get the eggs to stiff peaks with little effort, whether they're fresh or from a carton.
  • GottaBurnEmAll
    GottaBurnEmAll Posts: 7,722 Member
    edited April 2018
    Options
    Carton egg whites don't get as much volume as fresh egg whites, but you can use them if it's all you have. I think the texture is subpar, personally, but it'll do. I'm a picky baker.
  • xelsoo
    xelsoo Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    Carton egg whites don't get as much volume as fresh egg whites, but you can use them if it's all you have. I think the texture is subpar, personally, but it'll do. I'm a picky baker.

I feel the same way! Fresh egg whites seem (to me) to have more volume, sort of more pronounced 'peaks'.