Night eating

Is there anybody that have been successful in stopping late night eating? If so what was your strategy?

Replies

• JJordon
    JJordon Posts: 857 Member
    A gallon jug of water.

Chug it. Keep it chilled. Keep it close. Now for when I want something sweet? I make my own homemade, zero-calorie soda from: stevia extract (in spoonable tub), concentrated lemon juice and flavored seltzer water.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,319 Member
    I had to start going to bed a lot earlier...like 9PM instead of midnight/1AM.

I can get up earlier and I'm not hungry in the mornings. I eat my last meal around 4-4:30PM.
  • TonyB0588
    TonyB0588 Posts: 9,520 Member
    Is there anybody that have been successful in stopping late night eating? If so what was your strategy?

How late is your late? I go to bed around midnight usually, and might eat anywhere between 9:00pm and 10:30pm.
  • rindamease
    rindamease Posts: 10 Member
    I was drinking a lot of water but I kept waking up in the middle of the night to use the bathroom so I started drinking a cup of unsweetened almond milk. It’s thicker than water so it’s more filling and only 25 calories.
  • RenieGoodaz
    RenieGoodaz Posts: 7 Member
    Thank you guys, I will try all of them and let you know
  • primalpam
    primalpam Posts: 64 Member
    Increasing fat and protein, decreasing carbs, will reduce cravings.
  • bootyrubsandtacos
    bootyrubsandtacos Posts: 775 Member
    Going to sleep early, drinking a large cup of low calorie hot chocolate (I make my own with unsweetened almond milk, unsweetened cocoa powder and splenda) saving most of my calories for dinner, 20 cal. lollipops, munching on a large honeycrisp apple. They take awhile to eat and they’re super satisfying.
  • hroderick
    hroderick Posts: 756 Member
    i used to have the calorie equivalent of a 4th meal before bed. then i would skip breakfast. now i force down an egg and whole wheat toast in the morning. it seems to help the rest of the day. early to bed helps too. log everything and maybe have a real late dinner.
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Regular meals and regular sleep.
  • ulookfabulous135
    ulookfabulous135 Posts: 12 Member
    I agree with several of the other posts. I go to bed late: 11 p.m. or so. Late night eating has always been a thing for me. Since joining MFP I have eliminated pasta, bread, crackers, muffins, cereals, potatoes etc., switching mostly to veggies and lean meats. So far I make my goal of 1200 calories daily - even without exercise points. Breakfast is coffee. Lunch at 11 a.m. is between 300 and 500 calories. Dinner often fills the remaining calories, but I divide it in two. I eat one-half at 4:00 or 5:00, and the other shortly before bedtime so I can sleep through the night. Somehow knowing that I've something waiting held over, makes the evening much less stressful. I miss the carbs, but the veggies and meats keep me from feeling hungry. Salad works for lunch, but for some reason dinner needs to be broccoli, cauliflower, carrots - weighty veggies rather than leafy veggies.

Before I started splitting my dinner meal, which I now call early dinner and late dinner . . . I should have been a hobbit . . . I did try filling up on 30 ounces of water to drown a craving to eat. Praise Lord, thank you it worked - but I started splitting my dinner meal because I feared the water would not hold me through a really rough night.
  • makinemjellis
    makinemjellis Posts: 91 Member
    I was always told as a kid that you can’t eat after you brush your teeth and that has seemed to stick with me into adulthood.

Usually if my boyfriend is snacking, I can’t resist also grabbing a handful, but if I’ve already brushed my teeth, I almost never go for it.