Who’s got intermittent fasting experience?

Options
I’ve been on it for about two weeks. At the moment down 8 lbs. I typically do Crossfit workouts on average 4-5 days a week. I’m seeing a loss of a pound or two for a couple days and then gain a pound or two for a day. Still making that gradual decline and clearly it’s a small sample size. Anyone else having a similar experience? Those days I gain a pound frustrate me...guess I could be gaining a little muscle at the same time. Been doing Crossfit pretty steady since December. Thoughts?

Replies

• malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    What you're experiencing is normal fluctuations. It has nothing to do with IF. I'm assuming this is your first two weeks dieting...you should be seeing your overall trend drop to what it should be.
  • alteredsteve175
    alteredsteve175 Posts: 2,718 Member
    Options
    I've done intermittent fasting with low carbs. IF did teach me to pay attention to my hunger. Learned to wait until I was really hungry before eating. Now I have a better grasp on what works for me to lose weight. I have gone back to eating more carbs (20 to 30%) and I eat breakfast if needed. As others noted, just stick to your calorie goals and you will lose weight over time.

Consider logging your weight with a trending app like Libra or Happy Scale. Helps you see the loss trend even when weight goes up for a day or two.
  • getnickripped
    getnickripped Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    Been doing since nov 2015. Love it.
  • NovusDies
    NovusDies Posts: 8,940 Member
    Options
    I started skipping breakfast back in the 90's when I realized I was less hungry throughout the day for doing so.

I still reached my highest weight doing that, so there's nothing magical about it if you're not controlling your calories otherwise.

Now that I am controlling my calories, I still do find it helpful in regulating my appetite for the day, so I just drink tea until around 3:00 or so. It's really not a big deal to me and honestly? As someone who has done this for years and who has known countless women who lived off coffee and cigarettes during the mornings back in the 1960's and 1970's (also known as everyone's mom who was on a diet) I just want this being a fad to pass.

This is me. I have skipped breakfast since probably the mid 90's and when I have eaten it I have almost always regretted it unless I shoveled in big chunk of calories. It also never did anything to keep me from gaining weight.

I remember being told during one of my diet attempts that I had to eat breakfast... that diet failed.

I have never subscribed to the IF plan though. I have no idea what that plan is. I was doing what I do long before I knew it existed. I am on my plan.
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options
    I started skipping breakfast back in the 90's when I realized I was less hungry throughout the day for doing so.

Exactly my reason for doing it too. For me, "IF" is just not eating breakfast until around noon, and I just can't see anything magical about it except I have more calories left for dinner because I ate breakfast around lunch time.

If I eat earlier in the morning, I get hungry earlier and end up eating lunch anyway. I'm usually not that hungry in the morning, so it's easy to just have a cup of coffee and push it out later, and it helps me with satiety and adherence. And leaves me with somewhere around 1500-2000 calories for the afternoon/evening (depending on the day), which is when I'm hungriest.
  • BayouMoon
    BayouMoon Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Today is my first "fast day" as I'm going to try the intermittent fasting method. I'm not going to fast completely because I need to take some medicine in the morning that will upset my stomach if I don't have something on it. I'm going to try and keep it to 300 calories. I like the idea of this method because I think I can make a life style of it. Any other diets, I just eventually get tired of.
  • jjpptt2
    jjpptt2 Posts: 5,650 Member
    Options
    I found my normal weight fluctuations to be a bit larger when I was IFing. Long term trend weight didn't change and still lined up with my overall calorie intake, but my day-to-day swings were a big bigger.
  • BayouMoon
    BayouMoon Posts: 37 Member
    edited April 2018
    Options
    AnvilHead wrote: »
    Calories are what matter, not what time you eat them. Intermittent fasting helps some people with satiety and adherence, but other than that there's no magic to it. I've more or less been doing a 16:8 pattern for years, because I'm not that hungry in the morning and like a lot of calories for dinner, but if I'm hungry at a time outside the 8 hour window, I eat something. As long as I'm sticking to my calorie goals it won't make one bit of difference either way.

And weight fluctuations are perfectly normal and happen for a number of reasons.

what everyone else said. I dont lose anymore weight doing IF than I do not doing IF. its all about CICO

Yes, in the end it is probably just calories in versus calories out, but, my mind and emotions are the gate-keepers to what calories end up going in and out. So comes the need for me to find a method to manipulate my mind and emotions into going along with my planned change in the ratio of in/out. I like the idea of bribing my mind with the promise of "you can eat tomorrow". The thought of future happiness usually works for me. :-)
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    CharlieBeansmomTracey Posts: 7,682 Member
    Options
    BayouMoon wrote: »
    Today is my first "fast day" as I'm going to try the intermittent fasting method. I'm not going to fast completely because I need to take some medicine in the morning that will upset my stomach if I don't have something on it. I'm going to try and keep it to 300 calories. I like the idea of this method because I think I can make a life style of it. Any other diets, I just eventually get tired of.

i you are doing the 5:2 its 2 days of 500 calories and 5 days of eating at maintenance. you probably shouldnt eat less than the 500 though. There are many forms of intermittent fasting though.
  • psychod787
    psychod787 Posts: 4,088 Member
    Options

I still reached my highest weight doing that, so there's nothing magical about it if you're not controlling your calories otherwise.

Now that I am controlling my calories, I still do find it helpful in regulating my appetite for the day, so I just drink tea until around 3:00 or so. It's really not a big deal to me and honestly? As someone who has done this for years and who has known countless women who lived off coffee and cigarettes during the mornings back in the 1960's and 1970's (also known as everyone's mom who was on a diet) I just want this being a fad to pass.

Why I do 14/10 and still count macros. Nothing hocus pocus about IF.