Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

Keto Bodybuilders

Options
AnvilHead
AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
edited April 2018 in Debate Club
So this question spins off from a thread elsewhere - for the people who claim that calories don't matter on a ketogenic diet and you'll lose weight regardless of whether you're in a deficit or not because you're fat adapted, how do bodybuilders on a ketogenic diet bulk? How do they maintain during training and pre-contest prep if they're magically losing weight no matter how many calories they eat? And since they're completely fat-adapted, fat burning machines, what does their body do for energy when they're down to essential levels of bodyfat in pre-contest prep? And how does it not adversely affect ATP resynthesis while training at ultra-low bodyfat levels, since there's very little/no fat to draw from?

I've seen claims that there are ketogenic bodybuilders out there, and there are plenty of True Believers who claim that ketosis defies the laws of energy balance and you'll lose weight on a ketogenic diet regardless of energy balance, so I'm sure there must be some science out there which explains this. All the peer-reviewed research I've seen so far says that keto is a sub-optimal diet for strength training/hypertrophy, for several reasons.

Anybody?

Replies

• AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options
    bpetrosky wrote: »
    That's because the keto lords are actually bigger on the inside. People assume that metabolism is a strict progression of cause to effect, but *actually* from a non-linear, non-subjective viewpoint - it's more like a big ball of wibbly wobbly... fatt-y adapt-y... stuff.”

*nods* Makes as much sense as anything else I've heard.
  • 100_PROOF_
    100_PROOF_ Posts: 1,168 Member
    Options
    AnvilHead wrote: »
    So this question spins off from a thread elsewhere - for the people who claim that calories don't matter on a ketogenic diet and you'll lose weight regardless of whether you're in a deficit or not because you're fat adapted, how do bodybuilders on a ketogenic diet bulk? How do they maintain during training and pre-contest prep if they're magically losing weight no matter how many calories they eat? And since they're completely fat-adapted, fat burning machines, what does their body do for energy when they're down to essential levels of bodyfat in pre-contest prep? And how does it not adversely affect ATP resynthesis while training at ultra-low bodyfat levels, since there's very little/no fat to draw from?

I've seen claims that there are ketogenic bodybuilders out there, and there are plenty of True Believers who claim that ketosis defies the laws of energy balance and you'll lose weight on a ketogenic diet regardless of energy balance, so I'm sure there must be some science out there which explains this. All the peer-reviewed research I've seen so far says that keto is a sub-optimal diet for strength training/hypertrophy, for several reasons.

Anybody?

I always find it funny when they say that one will automatically lose weight while in ketosis. So what happens after like 20 years in ketosis? Will the person magically disappear because they shrunk to just bones? Lol!

I also like when they mention the keto athletes and body builders but forget to mention that most aren't in ketosis or even low carb for the entire time and are only going low carb for short bursts rather then any extended time frame.

I think people want to believe in these magical things but don't want to know the science behind it because in their hearts they know it's not true. If there was any truth to all their mystical magical claims, they'd have some real proof rather than blogs and magazines and Fung.