Replies

• TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    :laugh:
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,527 Member
    Options
    Intervals are great to improve fitness and cardiovascular health. Most people have no idea what it is to sprint for 20 seconds non stop. That crap ain't easy.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    Context matters OP, plus reading the text as well as the headline.
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    TonyB0588 wrote: »

Given that the studies were undertaken on a stationary bike, I'd question the competence of the journalist.
  • MeanderingMammal
    Options
    ninerbuff wrote: »
    Intervals are great to improve fitness and cardiovascular health. Most people have no idea what it is to sprint for 20 seconds non stop. That crap ain't easy.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

And after a 2 minute warm up there is not a chance of pushing out maximal effort in that 20 seconds.
  • aokoye
    aokoye Posts: 3,495 Member
    Options

Given that the studies were undertaken on a stationary bike, I'd question the competence of the journalist.

I mean the title is clickbait and the recommendations below the results of the study didn't make the most sense given that the participants in the study used bikes. That said, is what you're saying that you can't workout at high intensities on a stationary bike or questioning the suggestions of the journalist (the wind sprints, stairs, and jump rope)?
  • MeanderingMammal
    edited April 2018
    Options
    aokoye wrote: »

I mean the title is clickbait and the recommendations below the results of the study didn't make the most sense given that the participants in the study used bikes. That said, is what you're saying that you can't workout at high intensities on a stationary bike or questioning the suggestions of the journalist (the wind sprints, stairs, and jump rope)?

Forty five minutes on a bike isn't forty five minutes of jogging. They're different disciplines.

I'm also saying that the journalist is a scientific illiterate.

• aokoye
    aokoye Posts: 3,495 Member
    Options
    aokoye wrote: »

Forty five minutes on a bike isn't forty five minutes of jogging. They're different disciplines.

I'm also saying that the journalist is a scientific illiterate.
    Ok yeah - we are in agreement.

• TonyB0588
    TonyB0588 Posts: 9,520 Member
    Options
    Wow!! Thanks for the different perspectives.
  • OldAssDude
    OldAssDude Posts: 1,436 Member
    edited April 2018
    Options
    I like to mix it up.

I do power walk/run intervals ( 10 to 15 intervals of: 30 second or 1 minute running, 2, 3, or 4 minutes power walking (i try to reach my MHR on the run intervals)).
    I do steady state lower intensity runs for 45 minutes to an hour.
    I do just power walking for 45 minutes to an hour.
    I ride my bike for 45 minutes to an hour (sometimes slow to recover, sometimes fast for cardio).

If I really need to recover I just do a leisurely walk for about an hour.

I am not a fast runner at all, so I mainly go by heart rate zones and time.
  • OldAssDude
    OldAssDude Posts: 1,436 Member
    Options
    Also, I think the rule of thumb to get an aerobic training effect is a minimum of 20 minutes in the cardio zone, and a minimum of 3 times per week, to get a minimum training effect.

So I don't see how 1 minute of anything could even match the minimum as far as base aerobic fitness goes.

But what I do think HIIT does do is improve anaerobic fitness if done in conjunction with steady state.

People always think they find a way to shortcut putting the work in, and there ain't no shortcuts.