My First Marathon Today

Options
Nerdbear88
Nerdbear88 Posts: 62 Member
Three years ago at this time I was pushing well over 400 lbs. A year ago I entered my first half marathon, the Garmin Oz Run, and completed in a time of 2 hours and 26 minutes. Since then I have completed two more half's with a PR each race. Today I am attempting my first full marathon and hope to finish in 5 hours. Never in my wildest dreams would I have thought I would attempt a full marathon. I mean who in their right mind does this? I was seriously doubting myself and on several occasions contemplated downgrading my race to the half. But when I went in Thursday to pick up my race packet, where I could have switched races, I took a big gulp and picked up my full marathon race bib. Like it or not I'm locked into running 26.2 miles starting at 6:45 CST67p5ubb1s26v.jpeg
. If you don't hear from me next week, I'm probably in a coma. LOL

Replies

• jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    So exciting! Pace yourself, man. Finish for the win.
  • lyhyl
    lyhyl Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    Good for you!!!
  • KeepRunningFatboy
    KeepRunningFatboy Posts: 3,055 Member
    Options
    Awesome!
  • deannalfisher
    deannalfisher Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    good luck!
  • jazzadesigns
    jazzadesigns Posts: 477 Member
    Options
    Good luck to you!
  • michael1976_ca
    michael1976_ca Posts: 3,488 Member
    Options
    cool congrats on kicking butt
  • grinning_chick
    grinning_chick Posts: 765 Member
    edited April 2018
    Options
    Wahoo! Congrats! Be sure to treat your feet after carrying you that far!

I was an accidental marathoner once when I walked a marathon distance as mandatory fun years ago in the Bataan Memorial Death March. No real train up to for various and common excuses. Things got ugly after mile marker 19-20 or so for about half of the assembled district teams and we ended up finishing amongst the mid-heavy division pack despite being light.

I'll tell you what, though, running the two miles required on a record APFT ~week later was the easiest two miles I ever ran while in after walking that far/long. :lol:
  • abbynormal52
    abbynormal52 Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    Dang proud of you, and wish more guys I know would get with their health and fitness. I'm an active, single lady and 65, but I would like to be married again, and can't find any fellas that want to work with me on nutrition and fat-loss/muscle gain.

At least I know the guys around here are "doing it" though and maybe I'll just keep doing what I do, and finally meet a fella that is doing the healthy things too!! You look great, and thank you for sharing your awesome success;)
  • AmyOutOfControl
    AmyOutOfControl Posts: 1,425 Member
    Options
    Congratulations!
  • nomorewombat
    nomorewombat Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Awesome effort, how was it doing the 'extra' half marathon?
  • Nerdbear88
    Nerdbear88 Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    Awesome effort, how was it doing the 'extra' half marathon?

It was a bear after about mile 16. My calves started to really tighten up. And this course was pretty hilly. Took a few short breaks to stretch my legs and just carried on. The half is definitely my bread and butter long distance race.
  • noumena_
    noumena_ Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    This is amazing. Excellent work.
  • Miffylou
    Miffylou Posts: 307 Member
    Options
    Massive congratulations
  • RuNaRoUnDaFiEld
    RuNaRoUnDaFiEld Posts: 5,864 Member
    Options
    Amazing achievement

Well done
  • Styggian
    Styggian Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    Amazing story and absolutely awesome result, congratulations :)
  • missysippy930
    missysippy930 Posts: 2,577 Member
    edited April 2018
    Options
    Congratulations, this is an absolutely amazing accomplishment!
    Losing the weight is a huge accomplishment itself, but running a marathon is a huge testament to turning your health and stamina completely around!

My daughter runs. She has done a few full marathons, but has also found out that the 1/2 marathon is her comfort zone, but she still does occassional fulls. Many people really can not conceive what it takes to run 26.2 miles. It is truly amazing! You are part of an elite group of people that have completed a marathon. You should be so proud!

Hope you get some very well deserved rest today!
    Very well done!

• suzievv
    suzievv Posts: 410 Member
    Options
    Love this. Thank you for sharing! Very inspiring. Congratulations!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!