Eating back for Exercise vs Activity

Options
2»

Replies

• JudieJudes
    JudieJudes Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    Bumpity Bump ... I am interested in what peoples opinions are :flowerforyou:
  • wamydia
    wamydia Posts: 259 Member
    Options
    I'm not exactly sure where the idea of eating back exercise calories came from. I usually don't. MFP will add them in, but you only get the "starvation" warning if you eat fewer than 1200 calories in a day. I see it as an option if I'm hungry/special occasion or something, but I don't think it's a requirement.

That's something I don't get as well, the 1200 calories thing. Why is it that number? I'm somehow can't imagine our body thinking, "System consuming less than 1200 calories, error error...commence metabolic slowdown..." I mean, wouldn't a person who's burning 2500 calories daily, even if she eats 1200-1300 calories, staring experiencing metabolic slowdown or "starvation"?

It's actually based on scientific research. The current evidence suggests that below the 1200 calorie mark, the average person's body starts to have to compensate for not having enough calorie intake (energy) to perform basic daily functions. This results in a metabolic slowdown which will only hinder your weight loss in the end. If you are interested in reading the biochemistry of how this happens, check out:
    http://www.metaboliceffect.com/metabolic-damage/
  • wamydia
    wamydia Posts: 259 Member
    Options

TDEE + exercise

TDEE means total daily energy expenditure. This includes what our body needs to survive on, all activity and all exercise. There is no "TDEE plus exercise".

MFP is NOT a TDEE calculator. It calculates the amount you need to survive on (BMR) then it adds a modifier when you choose your lifestyle not including exercise.

This is why you add extra calories for exercise, they were not included in MFP's calculations. But they would be calculated if you used a TDEE calculator.

Thanks for the clarification. You can substitute this explanation for everywhere that I used TDEE in my post above.