Best core exercises and low impact cardio

Options
I have been struggling through a pulled hip muscle while doing my workout of choice, Orangetheory. Earlier this week, I pushed through and hurt myself more and the dr has told me to take at least 30 days off to allow my hip to heal. She recommended doing exercises that tightened my core so I could prevent this injury in the future.

I’ve been doing as many pushups as I can (dr recommended exercise) but wanted other ideas on core exercises as pushups are the last exercise in the world I want to do and I also want to keep it varied.

Also, I am missing the feel good I would get from doing Orangetheory. I’ve been down these past few days and am surprised to know my working out would help keep my mood happy so I would love some ideas for low impact cardio. Obviously it won’t be as intense as Orangetheory but I have to do something.

Replies

• concordancia
    concordancia Posts: 5,320 Member
    Options
    Can you swim? Water aerobics? Walk? Pilates?

Whatever ideas you come up with, please check with your doctor before beginning.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Walk till you can work out properly in 30 days
  • DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,613 Member
    Options
    Pullups? Rowing?
  • cleesus
    cleesus Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    ab roller for stronger core
  • DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,613 Member
    Options
    PiYo, yoga inferno, and 6 weeks 6 pack abs are good videos for core/low impact
  • justjara123
    justjara123 Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    I do pilates! You could also make a list of ab moves that don’t strain your hip by searching up the specific muscles used in every move. Then make your own abs circuit.
  • stanmann571
    stanmann571 Posts: 5,728 Member
    Options
    Best core exercise is pushups and pushup variations and plank holds within the pushup sphere.
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    Options
    i would think water. swim, aqua running/walking, aquazumba, etc
    i would avoid yoga and other ground exercises unless you are on your back to avoid straining further.
  • Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    Options
    What is her reasoning for telling you to take off from training. Data shows training at the appropriate stress actually helps heal muscles. Taking off actually detrain them.
  • aokoye
    aokoye Posts: 3,495 Member
    Options
    Chieflrg wrote: »
    What is her reasoning for telling you to take off from training. Data shows training at the appropriate stress actually helps heal muscles. Taking off actually detrain them.

What data, where was it published, who were the subjects, how many of them where there (I'm all for qualitative studies but not in medicine), and what injuries did they have? In short, what are these studies you're speaking of and what was the methodology?
  • JBApplebee
    JBApplebee Posts: 481 Member
    Options
    cleesus wrote: »
    ab roller for stronger core

I love my ab roller. Gotta be one of the best "as seen on TV" items ever.