strength/weight training on different equipment...

I have been lifting weights for a few years now. At work, I have access to a small weight room with bars and plates. I am looking at a different job (out of town) for the summer, which would give me access to machines only. I am wondering if I should try to bulk/gain any muscle possible in the next 5 weeks before leaving. My goal is to maintain as much muscle and strength as possible over the summer while traveling. I'm just not sure how to transition my training if I do have to leave. I can always cardio, so I'm not worried about that aspect.

Replies

• sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    edited April 2018
    5 weeks really isn't a lot of time to put on very much muscle to be honest, but it can't hurt to try.

In order to maintain, you can probably do a combination of machines, bodyweight, resistance band work. Or maybe think about buying some things (dumbbells, kettlebells) so you can workout at home if that is an option? Maintaining isn't as difficult as preserving during a deficit or trying to build muscle so you should be ok.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    5 weeks of increasing your workouts in an unspecified way and eating more isn't going to make any significant difference to your muscle growth.
    5 weeks serious eating on the other hand could gain you a fair amount of fat which you would then have to lose again.

Not seeing the point TBH.

Machines can be effective depending on what they are and how you use them.
  • DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,613 Member
    I didn't mean to increase them in an unspecified way, maybe get some options on tweaking my routine to make it more hypertrophy based? I usually do squat/bench, ohp/pullups, glute bridge or hip thrusts, deadlifts or split lunges. I have piriformis syndrome/pinched sciatic in my hip so deads are lighter and I'm working around a sore rotator cuff, but that seems to be improving.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    I didn't mean to increase them in an unspecified way, maybe get some options on tweaking my routine to make it more hypertrophy based? I usually do squat/bench, ohp/pullups, glute bridge or hip thrusts, deadlifts or split lunges. I have piriformis syndrome/pinched sciatic in my hip so deads are lighter and I'm working around a sore rotator cuff, but that seems to be improving.

How much difference do you think just five weeks of swapping your training towards more hypertrophy focus when injury restricted and working around a sore shoulder will actually make?
  • sardelsa
    Are you at maintenance now? Let's say you start gaining at around 0.5lb per week. That is a total gain of 2.5 lbs. If half of that is muscle (which is a stretch because usually it ends up being less) that is only 1.25lb of muscle at most. That is under the most optimal conditions provided you are in a surplus right from the start. Again, you can go for it, but it may not be worth all the hassle.
  • DancingMoosie
    I guess I just have anxiety about ANY change to routine. And this would be a big change. I might just try changing my 5x5 day to 4x6 or 3x8, and then power/heavier squat and bench the other day? Or just do my thing and figure out the new routine once I get there? I might try doing T25 again, alternate with some machine weights.
  • sardelsa
    When you were bulking in the past, were you using the same programming, sets and reps too? How did you feel about your progress and results muscle gain wise?
  • DancingMoosie
    I don't really know. I had to gain about 5lbs. I really just did too much cardio last summer and didn't eat enough. I don't feel much stronger, maybe a little(but that also comes from lifting progressively, regardless of gaining/maintaining), and I know I added some fat, cause I was looking a little gaunt before. I'm ok with my body the way it is. I just don't want to lose much muscle and strength and then have to climb my way back up come late August. But such is life I guess...
  • sardelsa
    You may lose some strength if you are not doing your usual lifts, but muscle should be OK provided you are maintaining and doing something to stimulate the muscles.
  • Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    If your goal is to maintain strength and muscle why would you want to add muscle for five weeks since that isn't part of the goal?

Just continue with your training and hopefully you can have better luck with finding a gym that is equipped for barbell training.
  • DancingMoosie
    I'm not looking for a new gym for the summer, I'm using what's available. I will be back to my regular schedule by end of Aug and back to free weights. I thought trying to add a little muscle before leaving might be helpful if I happen to not train well and lose, so I wouldn't end up with less than I have now, if that makes sense?