Keto

So I've been on the keto diet for 2 days and I feel amazing! I went through keto flu symptoms last night which was terrible but this morning the scale says I've lost 10 pounds. Anyone else have an extreme weight loss in a short time like that? I know it's probably water weight but I'll take it lol

Replies

• mandi791
    mandi791 Posts: 27 Member
    I just started a week ago, and I have lost a ton of water but I haven't weighed.So yes, you will lose a lot of water weight really fast. I'm not sure it ever happened for me in two days. Usually takes me three days to get into ketosis. I am trying to forget about goals, forget about how much I have lost, and just do the diet. When I start looking and feeling better, I will weight then. The thing I am dealing with now is terrible leg cramps. I chomped on some Kale this morning (even though I hate it) to try and get some potassium, and had a little almond butter. I had lemon water, but I just cant seem to get rid of the cramps. Love this diet. I am having no trouble sticking to it, but the legs cramps are so bad.
  • kpk54
    kpk54 Posts: 4,474 Member
    The leg cramps are most likely an electrolyte imbalance. If you have no medical reason to not increase your sodium intake, consider getting in about 3000-5000 mg/day to see if that helps (as a start). Might want to try a magnesium supplement also. Both legs cramps and "keto flu" are avoidable via addressing electrolytes. No need to suffer with either.
  • meganmarietw27
    meganmarietw27 Posts: 8 Member
    I haven't had cramps but last night I was so light headed and nauseous and I got a terrible headache at 2 in the morning. I feel great this morning though. I had 2 omelettes and I put salt on them for some sodium. I have so much energy though
  • mandi791
    mandi791 Posts: 27 Member
    kpk54 wrote: »
    The leg cramps are most likely an electrolyte imbalance. If you have no medical reason to not increase your sodium intake, consider getting in about 3000-5000 mg/day to see if that helps (as a start). Might want to try a magnesium supplement also. Both legs cramps and "keto flu" are avoidable via addressing electrolytes. No need to suffer with either.

Thanks, I will try doing that. It's honestly the only thing that I'm struggling with now.
  • caliallie2
    caliallie2 Posts: 19 Member
    edited April 2018
    Never had any Keto flu. Not even sure what thats about. So yes you lost some water weight. Whats your weight loss goal? After the initial water weight you'll know if its weight loss. I mean how much water weight can you be holding onto? I feel better when my weights where I want it and like hell when its not. I fluctuate way too much to make me happy. (3-4 pounds) I know most of it is water up and down but being bloated still feels just like I put on fat weight so yeah i can say dont trip its just water but I know that not how I feel when its up.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    caliallie2 wrote: »
    Never had any Keto flu. Not even sure what thats about. So yes you lost some water weight. Whats your weight loss goal? After the initial water weight you'll know if its weight loss. I mean how much water weight can you be holding onto? I feel better when my weights where I want it and like hell when its not. I fluctuate way too much to make me happy. (3-4 pounds) I know most of it is water up and down but being bloated still feels just like I put on fat weight so yeah i can say dont trip its just water but I know that not how I feel when its up.

You're muscle/liver using up glycogen stores......that's the reason for so much water weight loss when low carbing.

• nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Low carbs = low insulin, and it is insulin that control water and electrolyte retention. Definitely go for more sodium. It really helps.

Symptoms of low sodium are headaches, fatigue, moodiness, nausea, bm issues, muscle aches and spasms.
  • GIRLPOWER7113
    GIRLPOWER7113 Posts: 26 Member
    I started last Thursday.. Every one add me.. I would love Keto friends ..
  • GIRLPOWER7113
    GIRLPOWER7113 Posts: 26 Member
    I will look at my weight next week
    . That's awesome .. keep going.