Menopause and Motivation

Options
2»

Replies

• MaCkAy69
    MaCkAy69 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    OMG! I’m definitely experiencing peri menopause symptoms and feel this ‘spiral’ away from the person I was as well! I’m just starting to change my diet to try drop the 15 lbs I’m currently carrying so sweetly around my hips. I’m also listening to guided meditation nightly to help with sleeplessness. It’s helped tremendously! As for the energy and enthusiasm I feel I’m lacking, my plan is to fake it for now and hope it eventually returns. Heading out for a walk right now to try get my step count in for today (10,000) but wanted to reply and say I’m with you in menopause spirit!
  • terrid614
    terrid614 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    49 here and almost 50! Yikes where does time go?! I just very recently noticed night sweats- extreme lethargy and emotional!! Extremely emotional! Weight definitely harder to lose but I refuse to let it get the best of me! I know staying active is the key to a longer happy life!! We can conquer this!!!
  • auntdlplank
    auntdlplank Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    itsgood wrote: »
    I'm dealing with menopause right now. Yup, I have the hot flashes and night sweats, the aching joints, etc. Recently I finally committed to dealing with my weight. Calories in, calories out, tracking, drinking water. Yesterday was 10 weeks since I began recording, and I'm happy to say I've lost 25 pounds. Yay! Menopause is no fun, but losing weight during it is absolutely possible. And I promise, it's a whole lot easier to live with!

Do it...you'll thank yourself. Life is happening to you either way. Choose your path.

Thank you and congrats on your weight loss. You all are definitely making me feel more comfortable about myself.
  • staci2476
    staci2476 Posts: 42 Member
    edited April 2018
    Options
    I had an entire post and it only showed my first few words. Anyhow, I know exactly how you feel. I'm making small goals. My first is for May.... make time for the gym!
  • cbstewart88
    cbstewart88 Posts: 453 Member
    Options
    I am 63 years old. Went through menopause in my 50s - and it actually wasn't too bad for me. Except I gained weight. Same thing as you: sat behind a desk all day. AND I am short - double whammy. I started logging about a year ago - lost 40 lbs ...but the REAL KEY was stepping up my exercise. So I get up early (4:00am) and run 5 miles BEFORE work and get it out of the way - before I'm too tired from my work day. I've also taken up boxing which burns a TON of calories. Aside from the obvious physical benefits of the exercise - I have found the MENTAL benefits much more crucial for me. It gives me a shot of positivity and well-being and energy. I think like most challenges in life - losing weight is a MENTAL game. If you put yourself in the right frame of mind, most things are possible, including weight loss. I would say - get out there and sweat!! Then the rest will follow....
  • auntdlplank
    Options
    staci2476 wrote: »

Thank you Staci... small goals is what I'm doing as well
  • auntdlplank
    Options
    I am 63 years old. Went through menopause in my 50s - and it actually wasn't too bad for me. Except I gained weight. Same thing as you: sat behind a desk all day. AND I am short - double whammy. I started logging about a year ago - lost 40 lbs ...but the REAL KEY was stepping up my exercise. So I get up early (4:00am) and run 5 miles BEFORE work and get it out of the way - before I'm too tired from my work day. I've also taken up boxing which burns a TON of calories. Aside from the obvious physical benefits of the exercise - I have found the MENTAL benefits much more crucial for me. It gives me a shot of positivity and well-being and energy. I think like most challenges in life - losing weight is a MENTAL game. If you put yourself in the right frame of mind, most things are possible, including weight loss. I would say - get out there and sweat!! Then the rest will follow....

RUN??? I wish I could run... haven't done that since my military days 30+ years ago (ouch that was a long time ago). I want to take up kickboxing again, but have to get myself limbered up first. The last few days has been definite exercise.... spring cleaning at work.
  • snowflake954
    snowflake954 Posts: 8,400 Member
    Options

RUN??? I wish I could run... haven't done that since my military days 30+ years ago (ouch that was a long time ago). I want to take up kickboxing again, but have to get myself limbered up first. The last few days has been definite exercise.... spring cleaning at work.

You can really do almost anything if you start small. A lot of MFPers swear by "Couch to 5k", I think it's called. Don't let age stop you.
  • staci2476
    staci2476 Posts: 42 Member
    Options

I was in the Navy 20+ years ago! Man, 1.5 miles in 9 mins lol. Years ago I did the C25K and it really works. My plan is C25K three days a week and weights two days.
    You can add me if you'd like.
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,840 Member
    Options
    I used to run when I was in my teens and early 20s ... but not much at all since then.

And then in late November 2017, I started running on the treadmill and felt OK. So in early December, I decided to try running outside. By mid December I was running longer than I think I had since I was a teenager.

In mid-January, I ran a 10K event ... my first ever! :)

BTW - did I mention I'm 51?

• auntdlplank
    Options

I was in the Navy 20+ years ago! Man, 1.5 miles in 9 mins lol. Years ago I did the C25K and it really works. My plan is C25K three days a week and weights two days.
    You can add me if you'd like.
    [/quote]

Never heard of C25k. Glad to meet another squid LOL
  • auntdlplank
    Options
    Machka9 wrote: »
    I used to run when I was in my teens and early 20s ... but not much at all since then.

And then in late November 2017, I started running on the treadmill and felt OK. So in early December, I decided to try running outside. By mid December I was running longer than I think I had since I was a teenager.

In mid-January, I ran a 10K event ... my first ever! :)
    BTW - did I mention I'm 51?

Impressive, thank you for sharing that