Is losing this much weight after bulking normal?

Options
Am I losing weight too fast after bulking? My first week cutting I went from 179 to 174, but I figured most of that was water weight. This second week I went down to 171 now. 500 cals under my estimated TDEE is 2900, and Ive been eating 3000 cals. Is this normal?

Replies

• RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    edited April 2018
    Options
    Yes some water losses. How many calories were you bulking on? Have you added cardio to your cutting?

eta: I would look at my own data instead of estimations from other sources for what my real world TDEE is. Trend your weight over 3-4+ weeks if you keep losing aggressively then your TDEE is not accurate.
  • GainingTheGains
    GainingTheGains Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    RoxieDawn wrote: »
    Yes some water losses. How many calories were you bulking on? Have you added cardio to your cutting?

eta: I would look at my own data instead of estimations from other sources for what my real world TDEE is. Trend your weight over 3-4+ weeks if you keep losing aggressively then your TDEE is not accurate.

At 4000 cals I was gaining about 4 pounds a month. No cardio, but keeping carbs low and protein high
  • RoxieDawn
    Options

At 4000 cals I was gaining about 4 pounds a month. No cardio, but keeping carbs low and protein high

Cutting 1000 calories instantly after your bulk was over and cutting your carbs low , yes its mainly water weight.

Are you doing an aggressive cut? I would keep an eye on getting your weight stabilized and make sure you do not end up cutting too low that you lose muscle instead of maintain/retain it.

• GainingTheGains
    GainingTheGains Posts: 6 Member
    Options

Cutting 1000 calories instantly after your bulk was over and cutting your carbs low , yes its mainly water weight.

Are you doing an aggressive cut? I would keep an eye on getting your weight stabilized and make sure you do not end up cutting too low that you lose muscle instead of maintain/retain it.

I'm not intending to do an aggressive cut, but if this sounds like I am then I will increase my calories.
  • RoxieDawn
    edited April 2018
    Options

I'm not intending to do an aggressive cut, but if this sounds like I am then I will increase my calories.

I presume (correct me if I am wrong) you were still gaining at 4000 which had your 500 calorie surplus built in, this would bring your TDEE to 3500 or so, then added a 500 calorie deficit to that.

This might end up being where you want to be, its going to take your body a little time to catch up since you did it fairly rapidly.

I don't know how want to cut, slower or faster. I am curious about the low carb approach since you would still be lifting. In any regard, trend your weight over the next 3-4 weeks and see what changes you need to make to your deficit.
  • jseams1234
    jseams1234 Posts: 1,216 Member
    Options
    I lost 12 pounds the first week I started my cut. Water and waste. It can really be surprising. The bigger you are the more dramatic this initial “loss” can be.
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    Options
    jseams1234 wrote: »
    I lost 12 pounds the first week I started my cut. Water and waste. It can really be surprising. The bigger you are the more dramatic this initial “loss” can be.

That is my whole bulk.. :D
  • jseams1234
    jseams1234 Posts: 1,216 Member
    Options
    sardelsa wrote: »
    jseams1234 wrote: »

That is my whole bulk.. :D

Heh. I went nuts on my last bulk. Took me four months and a very aggressive cut to drop the flubber. I’ll never bulk past 20% again. The “kung Fu Panda” was not a good look for me. ;)