The scale isn’t the only measure

Options
SCoil123
SCoil123 Posts: 2,108 Member
So lately I’ve seen a few posts about members feeling discouraged because the scale either isn’t moving or is moving slow. These images were taken two years apart to the day. There is only about a 20lb difference between these two pictures. I know all about slow weight loss and going weeks without seeing a change on the scale. But despite the slow and small weight loss I feel like a completely different woman. I’ve lost inches! I’ve gained strength and confidence. I know sometimes it’s hard not to get caught up in the number but really there are so many other (sometimes better) ways to measure success.

I’d love a discussion about all the different ways we can track our progress and successes beyond the scale.

For me I deadlifted more than my body weight last week for the first time. I’ve been lifting a little less than a year and had never done it before that. This was a goal that I am super proud of and a measure of how my fitness has improved.

Replies

• kami3006
    kami3006 Posts: 4,978 Member
    Options
    I love your pictures!

When I was losing, the scale took a backseat to pictures and measurements. I think pictures had the most impact. I still can't look in the mirror and see how I really look and my loss was 4-5 years ago. So whether I'm bulking or cutting I keep a photo journal to appraise my progress.

But as far as other non-scale victories, I think, like you, weightlifting personal records stand out the most. Deadlifting my body weight was a big one as well. The first pull-up was thrilling!

I am also happy that I've stuck with it so long that my husband sees me more as a fitness inclined person and enjoys surprising me with new fitness gear. It tells me that I have made enough of a change that it shows to others as well that it's something I enjoy as opposed to just suffer through. And getting myself in better shape has trickled down to both him and my daughter who took it upon themselves to follow my lead. I love that!
  • SCoil123
    SCoil123 Posts: 2,108 Member
    Options
    I still struggle with pull ups but it’s definitely on my list to concur. Great job! And so cool that you’ve inspired your family to embrace fitness
  • kami3006
    kami3006 Posts: 4,978 Member
    edited April 2018
    Options
    SCoil123 wrote: »
    I still struggle with pull ups but it’s definitely on my list to concur. Great job! And so cool that you’ve inspired your family to embrace fitness

Thanks! Pull-ups were a big one for me. Unfortunately, I fell and tore come cartilage in my wrist and had to have surgery at the end of last year. So, I get to work up to those same goals again. :| I hope they're just as exciting the second time around.

Edited for grammar.