Eating Exercise Calories

Options
Do you all eat your Exercise calories or just a portion/percentage? Please comment as I'm not sure if I should. I'm just starting out again and my calories are set to 1510 per day (1.5 lbs/week goal), so if I don't eat any of my exercise points, I feel really deprived.

Replies

• AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options
    Take a couple minutes to watch the video in the first post of this thread, I think you'll find it very helpful: https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10503681/exercise-calories-do-i-eat-these-a-video-explanation/p1
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    Put a little effort into selecting the right calorie estimating tool(s) for your particular exercise routine and then eat them all back. If you want suggestions on tools or methods then tell people what exercise you do.

Always seems weird to me the idea of using a poor or unsuitable method of estimating and then take a completely random percentage off that already poor data based on guesswork.

PS - feeling "deprived" isn't helpful to your chances of long term adherence and success.

• dunkind45
    dunkind45 Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    I only eat half, sometimes I do not touch them at all. It really depends on the day.
  • knotgood77
    knotgood77 Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    On average I probably eat back about 50% of them.....this is not based on any particular science, but it is what I do.
  • lightenup2016
    lightenup2016 Posts: 1,055 Member
    Options
    I eat back half of what the machines or my pedometer read out says. I've lost weight just fine doing this. I also find it good incentive for me to workout, even if it's just walking, so that I can eat more!
  • bbell1985
    bbell1985 Posts: 4,572 Member
    Options
    Try eating them back. When I first started I ate them all, but I never logged "weight training" so I think that the overestimate for cardio evened out. Eat as much food as you can to lose weight for as long as you can.
  • Ravazza
    Ravazza Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Thank you all for your replies. They were all very helpful.
  • adarbyem
    adarbyem Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    I use my workout calories for a few beers on the weekend or so, but during the week, I just use them for meal extras. Extra cheese, bacon, dip, bread, etc. I usually don't eat them all back, but it's nice to know that it isn't halting my weight loss doing so.