SUGAR!!!

Replies

• psychod787
    psychod787 Posts: 4,088 Member
    I rarely use "added" sugar these days. I drink my coffee with almond milk and liquid stevia or splenda. I do like sweet, just with the plethora or alternatives out there these days, why add the calories. Sometimes good old aspertaine if nothing else is available.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Bintzie wrote: »
    You could also try switching from pre-sweetened creamers to cream/half&half/milk-of-choice and adding your own sugar and work on tapering back.
    Another possible option (as I don't know how you select your coffee) is to find a coffee that you actually really like. That makes transition to drinking it black or even switching cold turkey a lot easier.

These are good suggestions.

Are you logging? I'm curious how you could really be getting that much sugar from creamer, but I'll assume for now you are. Personally I HATE sweetened coffee, can enjoy cream or milk in it (although I like it best black), but coffee never seemed like a drink that should be sweet to me. That aside, back years ago when I first started drinking coffee I drank it about half milk/half coffee and just gradually added less milk. Since a tsp of sugar is like 15 cal, my suggestion is to just cut back on the amount of sugar you add (keep the dairy if you like it and count the calories) and also maybe cut back on the number of cups. Gradually might be best. Good coffee tastes best black, as the other poster mentioned.
  • triciale555
    triciale555 Posts: 57 Member
    I recently started to make an effort to cut back on processed food and sugar.(Yes, eat a lot of fruit, and I know that it has sugar). It was hard, but after a week or two, it got a lot easier. I cannot help you with the coffee, as I take my black with one Splenda. But I do know that after a week or two it will start to taste more “normal”
    My best advice, is to find a creamer with lower sugar or add less, mentally prepare yourself for the next two weeks knowing that it won’t taste as good and then reevaluate after the second week
  • DivineLotus
    DivineLotus Posts: 93 Member
    Have you determined where in your diet you consume a lot of sugar? What do your meals consist of?
  • fr33sia12
    fr33sia12 Posts: 1,258 Member
    I try keep added sugar low, luckily I don't have much of a sweet tooth. Try not to have too many processed foods that contain sugar. Look at the ingredients, some have many different names for sugar (sucrose and high-fructose corn syrup, as well as barley malt, dextrose, maltose and rice syrup) If you can't give up your creamer, try cutting down added sugar from other foods. Not being able to see your food diary I can't help with that, but my diary is open so you can get an idea of cutting down sugar.
    You will get a few people on here telling you you don't need to cut down on sugar, but I was also told to do so by a doctor and I actually want to keep added sugar as low as I can, whether I lose weight or not, just because I believe it to be healthier for me personally.
  • BohannonK
    BohannonK Posts: 15 Member
    BohannonK wrote: »
    Again, had you worded your post sugar habits and wanting to reduce consumption and address triggers ( you don't have to divulge what exactly triggers you) then nobody would be objecting.

It is the incorrect idea of addiction and the inaccurate claims of your doctor ( or perhaps your misunderstanding of what the doctor said, we don't know) that people are objecting to.
    And perhaps your defensive attitude.

I am not trying to be defensive. I am reading every single post and taking suggestions into account. Some of been very helpful, some have not. I was simply trying to clarify what I am seeking, which is advice and support. But then I am immediately met with posts, some multiple, getting hung up on wording. I went back and to read what I said my Dr said. Perhaps my haste to keep my post short was the problem. She never said it gets stored in my stomach. She simply said that too much sugar, especially that which is drank because typically the grams are so high, gets stored in the body because it’s in excess. I didn’t go into it ALL. I spoke to this woman for an hour and was simply trying to be concise. I mentioned my stomach areas because it is rounder now than it ever has been. I also want to lose in my butt and thighs but again I was trying to be concise and in the moment was most annoyed by my stomach. But now that people keep trying to educate me on something and do it in a way that I am reading as condescending maybe I am getting defensive even though that is not my wish.

You don’t know me. I don’t know you. Some have made judgements about me based on wording. I have NEVER posted for support and advise or anything on MFP before. Within 24 hours a handful of people have made it so I will not be posting again. If I could figure out how to delete this thread I would so I don’t have to open my app and get met with the warning bell that there is a comment.

To those of you who posted suggestions, thank you!!! It’s a new week and I am going to try and tilt my attitude towards carbs and sugar in general. Onward!

Ok so now the doctor didn't say sugar gets stored on the stomach but excess calories get stored in the body.
    I don't think anyone would argue with that - but it isn't what you said before.

Perhaps it is not your wish to get defensive - but it is coming across that way.

Btw, if you want to stop seeing the notification bell just unclick it and it and then you stop being notified of additional posts to the thread.

Thank you for telling me how to turn off the warning bell. It’s not NOW my doctor says it, she said it initially I just didn’t explain it well. That was my mistake.