When to switch to maintainance calories?

Yesterday, I tried on all of my “small” clothes that had been far too tight to wear, and everything fits fine. I weighed this morning and am two pounds away from my goal weight. I was thinking about going ahead and switching over to maintenance calories because I feel good at this weight. But part of me wants to push forward and lose those two pounds. When did you switch to maintainance? Any advice?

Replies

• deannalfisher
    deannalfisher Posts: 5,600 Member
    remember that maintenance is a range that you stay within - maybe its your goal weight, plus or minus 2lbs - if that's the case, you could slowly transition to maintenance now - and maybe lose another lb or two along the way
  • BeccaLoves2lift
    BeccaLoves2lift Posts: 375 Member
    If you reverse diet into maintenance slowly you'll probably lose a bit more weight while you transition.
  • ITUSGirl51
    ITUSGirl51 Posts: 192 Member
    edited April 2018
    I’m also 2-4 lbs from my goal. I have been feeling very hungry and exhausted, my blood pressure even got below 90/60 so I decided to take a diet break last week. I’m one week into eating at maintenance and am happy and feel so much better. Actually I’m still eating 150-300 calories less than maintenance according to my Apple Watch, so I’m thinking of just calling weight loss done and go to maintenance. Maybe I will lose a couple more pounds very, very slowly. What do you guys think? My biggest hesitation is that I have a cruise in 5 weeks and I know I will gain 3 lbs of water weight. Should I wait and do a bigger deficit after the cruise to get rid of the last lbs or go back to a deficit after my two week diet break next week and push to lose 2 lbs before the cruise?

Add: I’m 51 and 5’8” and weigh 161.4 lbs. I’ve lost 67 lbs in 13 months using MFP. I have been obese or overweight my entire life. I’ve gained and lost over 50 lbs about 9 times in my life. I’m so, so sick of it. I’m determined to keep it off this time. No more crash diets and starvation and then gaining it all back!