Leg work out undone as gym was full

Did squats yesterday but was not able to do leg extensions ,hamstrings and leg press as gym was full so can I do it today ? Or else wait to give one day test today and come back tomorrow

Replies

• cqbkaju
    cqbkaju Posts: 1,011 Member
    edited April 2018
    If your squats were heavy enough then you will be fine if you skip the accessory exercises occasionally.

In fact, if your squats and deadlifts are properly heavy (~85% 5RM) then you will not usually have enough in the tank for all of the other stuff.

You get stronger on recovery days, not on lift days.

Consider looking into Starting Strength and/or StrongLifts5x5 to get a foundation of real strength before worrying about the "pump" / hypertrophy programs.

If you cannot deadlift about 2x your body weight and squat about 1.5x your weight then you have a lot of leg growth you are leaving on the table.
  • jseams1234
    jseams1234 Posts: 1,216 Member
    Those accessories are typically machine based. Did you ask to work in? Funny how you were able to secure a squat rack but not a single machine. ;)
  • Davidsdottir
    Davidsdottir Posts: 1,285 Member
    jseams1234 wrote: »
    Those accessories are typically machine based. Did you ask to work in? Funny how you were able to secure a squat rack but not a single machine. ;)

I was thinking the same thing. Way harder at my gym to get a rack than a machine.
  • EmmaCaz4
    EmmaCaz4 Posts: 113 Member
    Do you not have other exercises in mind to switch in when you can't get onto those machines?
  • jdog022
    jdog022 Posts: 693 Member
    EmmaCaz4 wrote: »
    Do you not have other exercises in mind to switch in when you can't get onto those machines?

I agree. the accessories are generally flexible in most plans and can be changed and swapped as needed. could have possibly done dumbell RDLs, lunges, walking lunges, Bulgarian split squats, goblets.
  • Keto_Vampire
    Keto_Vampire Posts: 1,670 Member
    There are TONS of leg exercise variations without using those specific machines:
    SLDLs, RDLs, goodmornings, hyperextensions, GHRs, hamstring leg curl (on a row machine), lunges, hack squats, sissy squats, pistol squats, sumo/goblet squat, front squats, bulgarian split squats, etc. Most involve dumbbells, barbell, or bodyweight...let's not forget about calves too

I would "youtube" some of these if you are not familiar with them (some are quite advanced moves involving tons of coordination & some are really easy/straightforward). Try some out & throw into you memory bank of exercises (I find it quite fun/challenging not doing the same boring movements over & over again...more so for accessory/non-compound heavy movements)
  • bbell1985
    bbell1985 Posts: 4,572 Member
    You can do them today. Depends on your program too. For example, I had to skip bis and tris today so I'll do them tomorrow, but I know I'm not supposed to hit them again two days from now, so it's fine. They'll just go after my s/b/d day tomorrow.
  • EmmaCaz4
    EmmaCaz4 Posts: 113 Member
    There are TONS of leg exercise variations without using those specific machines:
    SLDLs, RDLs, goodmornings, hyperextensions, GHRs, hamstring leg curl (on a row machine), lunges, hack squats, sissy squats, pistol squats, sumo/goblet squat, front squats, bulgarian split squats, etc. Most involve dumbbells, barbell, or bodyweight...let's not forget about calves too

I would "youtube" some of these if you are not familiar with them (some are quite advanced moves involving tons of coordination & some are really easy/straightforward). Try some out & throw into you memory bank of exercises (I find it quite fun/challenging not doing the same boring movements over & over again...more so for accessory/non-compound heavy movements)

I agree!!

I not only find it challenging and less boring, switching exercises can actually be a change and shock your muscles. If you stick with the same exercises your body will get used to them too easily. Switch in new exercises to make it fun but also to get your muscles working.
  • MassarDv
    MassarDv Posts: 76 Member

Thanks for this !
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,389 MFP Moderator
    cqbkaju wrote: »
    If your squats were heavy enough then you will be fine if you skip the accessory exercises occasionally.

In fact, if your squats and deadlifts are properly heavy (~85% 5RM) then you will not usually have enough in the tank for all of the other stuff.

Consider looking into Starting Strength and/or StrongLifts5x5 to get a foundation of real strength before worrying about the "pump" / hypertrophy programs.

If you cannot deadlift about 2x your body weight and squat about 1.5x your weight then you have a lot of leg growth you are leaving on the table.

That may be the case for you and how you respond to training, but that is way too much of a generalization. My heavy days are 85% of 1RM for all the big lifts and I still have a good amount of accessory work.
  • bbell1985
    bbell1985 Posts: 4,572 Member
    cqbkaju wrote: »

I squat around 75-85% 3x per week and do full leg hypertrophy sessions afterward.