KETO plan? Yay or Nay???

Options
I am interested in trying out the KETO nutrition plan. I am, however, completely lost and could use a little guidance. Are any of you following a Keto plan? IS it with any success? Suggestions on where to s tart is helpful.... Aprreciate the assistance and advice. Thank you to all in advance.

Replies

• savagegirl316
    savagegirl316 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    My sister has had success with the Keto way of eating. I figured maybe I might too. I appreciate the link to take a look at. Honestly, I am not sure what KETO is...from my understanding it is a restriction on carbs but eating healthy fats...I am happy to have someone correct me. Again, I thank you for your response.
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options
    My sister has had success with the Keto way of eating. I figured maybe I might too. I appreciate the link to take a look at. Honestly, I am not sure what KETO is...from my understanding it is a restriction on carbs but eating healthy fats...I am happy to have someone correct me. Again, I thank you for your response.

Yes, you are correct. It's a plan where you restrict carbs (not just pasta and bread, carbs as in foods that are higher in carbohydrates) and eat more than the usual amount of fat. You basically focus on fatty cuts of meat, cook with butter, be very picky with your vegetables because some vegetables are higher in carbs than others, use real cream in your coffee, cook things with oil and butter, add cheese to food, add fatty salad dressing to your salads...etc.

Make sure to track your calories as accurately as possible, and if you have a food scale, even better. Stay within the calories that the app gives you and you should be fine.
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    I would do some googling and reading to see if it is right for you. Keto Clarity is an easy introductory book. The Ketogenic Bible is very good too.

Carbs usually come from plants, except for lactose in milk. When cutting carbs, most people start with sugar and refined flours (baked goods, flours, noodles, etc). Next to go is whole grains (oats, rice, corn, etc) and sugary fruits (usually tropical or dried). Finally people tend to limit other fruits and starchy root vegetables (potatoes, yams, onions, carrots). That leaves veggies, nuts, berries, olives, coconut, avocado, cucs, peppers, etc., and meat, seafood, full fat dairy and eggs.
  • Silentpadna
    Silentpadna Posts: 1,306 Member
    Options
    Yay if it works for you. Nay if it doesn't. If you haven't figured it out, it's one of many methods that work, as long as you are eating less energy than you burn.
  • JBApplebee
    JBApplebee Posts: 481 Member
    Options
    I'm on a ketosis nutritional plan through Profile by Sanford. I started it January 20th & between profile & 9Round I'm down over 40 pounds & my goal is 50. I'm on what they call the reboot-reduce part of the plan. Once I get to my goal, then I got to the adapt & then the sustain. That just means I work my way back to more real food & less bars/shakes. I get a shake for breakfast, a shake for morning snack, a shake, vegetables & a fat (usually cheese) for lunch. I get a bar & a fiber drink for afternoon snack, a fat, 4 oz lean protein & vegetables for supper & a shake for another snack.

The shakes are really good, one of the few that tastes great mixed with water. I love the chewy chocolate peanut bars. I was skeptical when I first started it, because being a big meat eater, how could those bars & shakes keep me from being hungry all day? I was surprised at how much they did.
  • savagegirl316
    Options
    I sincerely appreciate all of these responses I am getting. You all are awesome. Thank you for your support. I am going to get that book recommended. I can sustain this. I have cut out all processed carbs (white bread, flours, etc and processed sugar items)
  • jjpptt2
    jjpptt2 Posts: 5,650 Member
    Options
    If you're not sure where to start or what to expect, why are you interested in trying it? There's nothing magical about it and in most cases should only really be recommended if there is a health/nutritional reason for doing so.
  • caitlyn30
    caitlyn30 Posts: 207 Member
    Options
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,394 MFP Moderator
    Options
    caitlyn30 wrote: »
    Keto

That protein per gram is going to be highly inadequate for most people. Protein need should be 1.5 -2.2g /kg
  • savagegirl316
    Options
    @amusedmonkey , thank you for the reply and clarification. SO far so good for me. I am not going full keto...I am working on finding what works best for me. Your input is very much appreciated
  • bfanny
    bfanny Posts: 440 Member
    Options
    You need to try it and see how you feel, my body doesn’t feel good with a high % of fats, carbs are my thing no reason to fight my nature :D Good Luck!
  • meemanders
    meemanders Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I feel 1000% better when I don’t eat carbs. I’ve found the Keto diet to be pretty self reinforcing. I feel better and the scale consistently moves when I’m eating Keto. But like most people have said, you have to find what works for you!
  • jefamer2017
    jefamer2017 Posts: 416 Member
    Options
    Yay if you like it and can do it nay if you can't. I can't do it, I need a few more carbs than what keto allows.
  • rsuelzer
    rsuelzer Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I'm inadvertently doing Keto, but with a much higher intake of protein than would normally be recommended. My reasoning for cutting carbs is simply because I do not feel as full for as long. A 200 calorie chicken breast, which isn't keto persay, seems to keep my hunger at bay for hours longer than 200 calories of bread or juice. I've dropped 8+ pounds in two weeks, but that really just has to do with burning more calories than I am consuming.

A balanced diet is important, getting vitamins and minerals, and making sure that you feel healthy. As was said before, any diet that takes in fewer calories than your body uses will cause you to lose weight. I don't think there is any major benefit to "Keto" other than it does seem to keep you full longer. But, it doesn't mean you don't have to count calories because anything your body does not use during the day it will store for the future.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    I am interested in trying out the KETO nutrition plan. I am, however, completely lost and could use a little guidance. Are any of you following a Keto plan? IS it with any success? Suggestions on where to s tart is helpful.... Aprreciate the assistance and advice. Thank you to all in advance.

Keto would be way too restrictive for me. I could never restrict carbs that low namely because a lot of my favorite foods are carbs...mind you, most of them are highly nutritious carbs like legumes, oats and other whole grains, root vegetables, etc.

When I cut weight I do usually cut back on carbs because that's the easiest macro to flex, but not to keto levels.